• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100w light bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    I bought some in Homebase a few weeks ago - wife doesn't like the incandescent energy saving type - but the ones I got were a new type that are actually halogen in a normal fitting/bulb that use 30% less energy and last longer too.
    They don't last longer! I had two go in a lamp in the lounge in about 4 months.

I've converted pretty much everything I can in our house to low-energy light bulbs and am feeling pretty smug and pleased with myself.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I saw energy saving light bulbs being sold 5 for a pound in Sainburys last week.
      Why do they vary in price so much? I just found some dimmable 11w bulbs that were £10 each Spending £150 to do 3 rooms doesn't feel like saving to me.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

LED light bulbs may be the next thing. They last much longer than florescent bulbs but aren't as efficient, but are expected to become much more efficient in future (150 lumens per watt, compared to 10 lumens per watt for an incandescent). Dunno about their price.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Why do they vary in price so much? I just found some dimmable 11w bulbs that were £10 each Spending £150 to do 3 rooms doesn't feel like saving to me.
          Try looking in the shops again. Prices may have dropped considerably in the last few months. They have for the regular florescent bulbs.

Comment

What’s with the current fashion of putting LED’s in the headlights of certain cars? I’ve seen Audi’s, BMW’s and Aston’s with them, they look like cheap Xmas decorations to me.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

What’s with the current fashion of putting LED’s in the headlights of certain cars? I’ve seen Audi’s, BMW’s and Aston’s with them, they look like cheap Xmas decorations to me.
              Yes, but it's feels like Xmas every time you drive one of those (except BMW)...

Comment

OK, now I'm normally as eco-friendly as the next guy, but this lightbulb thing is pissing me off. No-ones gonna tell me what I can and cannot light my house with - if I want to have 100w or 150w bulbs blazing away all night in my house then I'm bloody well going to do so. And I might even take some class A drugs while I'm at it as well, because its my body and bolloxed if I'm going to listen to some fat condescensing twat in parliament telling me what I can and cannot do with my own body But I digress...

This energy "crisis' is a bigger gyp than Global Warming. Theres more than enough energy landing on the planet to power everything forever, all it takes its the will to harness it. We've just had the same nanny-state lightbulb saga over here in NZ, needless to say I'll be importing the biggest power-hungry light bulbs I can find, and in the future I'll be reinstating the wind and solar power at my house so I can tell the power company and their in-pocket govt bitches to go stick their energy-saving bulbs where the sun don't shine

p.s. LED spotties in the house work great - they use 6-12 watts

Comment

Whats with the current fashion of putting LEDs in the headlights of certain cars? Ive seen Audis, BMWs and Astons with them, they look like cheap Xmas decorations to me.
                  forthcoming EU regs requiring day running lights I think - but I agree with you.

Comment

Since some of my light fittings won't physically accept a low energy bulb of the equivalent light output, I'll have to junk them if I can't get incandescent bulbs - how exactly is that saving the planet? What a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                      This energy "crisis' is a bigger gyp than Global Warming. Theres more than enough energy landing on the planet to power everything forever, all it takes its the will to harness it.
                      A breakthrough in the cost of making solar panels.

I don't know about NZ, but the UK isn't particularly well endowed with sunshine and it won't get us far.

Comment

Working...
                      X