• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100w light bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    Nice to be 'green' in theory, however when you know that you are just being manipulated by 2-jag driving lying coonts you start to think differently.

I think we should start shunning all the emotive green bollox and start aiming for efficiency in everything. Like good code, less is more. I will only start changing my light bulbs when LED technology is prevelant. Some of the new LED bike lights are very impressive in tems of brightness and power consumption.

Aren't energy efficient bulbs highly toxic as well?
    Oh yes, you can't just throw them in the bin. The fluorescent coating is full of heavy metals. You have to take them to a special recycling point.

And if you break one, Defra says you should:

Vacate the room and ventilate it for at least 15 minutes. Do not use a vacuum cleaner, but clean up using rubber gloves and aim to avoid creating and inhaling airborne dust. Sweep up all particles and glass fragments and place in a plastic bag. Wipe the area with a damp cloth, then add that to the bag and seal it. Mercury is hazardous and the bag should not be disposed of in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
      Nice to be 'green' in theory, however when you know that you are just being manipulated by 2-jag driving lying coonts you start to think differently.

I think we should start shunning all the emotive green bollox and start aiming for efficiency in everything. Like good code, less is more. I will only start changing my light bulbs when LED technology is prevelant. Some of the new LED bike lights are very impressive in tems of brightness and power consumption.

Aren't energy efficient bulbs highly toxic as well?
      LEDs are improving all the time and are about on par with florescent light bulbs in terms of efficiency (about 10%, compared to incandescents on about 2.5%, a candle 0.04%, quantum dot 60%), but have drawbacks, such as price, not covering the full 2 pi steradians and colour balance. They are expected to be more efficient than fluorescents in the near future (if not already at the high-end). They last a long time, fail slowly and are rugged.

Comment

Working...
      X