• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What skills could you bring to a "Survivors" scenario?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could get a power station working.

If 99.99% of the population was wiped out, first I'd get armed, stock up a truck with diesel, and get enough food for a few weeks from a supermarket, drîve through the channel tunnel, then I'd head south (less energy required to keep warm, more sunshine for growing crops). Find a suitable power station - nuclear or "renewable" for preference. Then, having a base, raid the local towns and cities for non-perishable goods. That's where you need to gun - to deal with feral animals, dogs in packs, and, of course, the obligatory escaped psychopathic murderer.

I think I've read too many disaster novels. Lucifer's hammer is one of the best. I don't want my kids to grow up afraid of lightning.

matt
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

couldn't we just hire/kidnap Ray Mears, then we could all sit back and enjoy ourselves while he does all the work
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I could analyse the requirements of the survivors to find out what their needs were and then model that in UML, so that everyone knew what their deliverables were.

I would only need a whiteboard and dry-marker so that I would not be dependant upon the defunct power supply (although if it was still working an overhead projector would be most welcome).

It will need people like me otherwise chaos will rule. I'm pretty sure that they would be so grateful at having order imposed they will ask me to become their king.

(Actually I can shoot and fish so I would head off into the Peak District and kill stuff).
        When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

I am well-versed in cooking humans. Could be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
            You're a contractor at a crematorium?
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              You're a contractor at a crematorium?
              No! I drive trucks in Cambrideshire at weekends. It's a hobby. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                Especially useful if, as many suspect , the policy of assumed consent in taking body parts is extended to making food items out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Especially useful if, as many suspect , the policy of assumed consent in taking body parts is extended to making food items out of them.
                  ALDI will be first to sell that sort of thing. AtW will be the first to buy: he shops there.

Comment

what skills ?

I can feed a lot of people with a tiny amount of food, make wine quickly with a minimum of ingredients and cross watery obstacles with ease.
                    Vulnerabilities, I will be gone for a few days over the holidays, dont touch my Easter eggs, I'll be back on the monday

-Jesus

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                      As many of you who know me, I've been gearing up and preparing for the coming apocalypse for years, ever since Tony B'liar got elected. Could see it coming. Have got myself super fit. Invested in loads of training in escape, evasion and survival. Done courses all over the world, even talked one client into a team building gig with that Swedish survival guy, was marvellous paid for holiday and learned loads.

So I suggest that I'd be best placed to lead the group, and anyone who disagrees will find themselves waking up one morning alone and left behind as I will not carry any slackers. This is survival, not a holiday camp.
                      ^
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      | <------- I'm pretty good at smelling effluent so would stop us dropping in the sh!t!

Btw, talking about effluent, Threaded old boy, are you coming to the CUK do a week on Friday?

Comment

Working...
                      X