• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alistair Darling to raise income tax rate for top earners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I disagree that rates were more complex - I agree politics did for the Poll Tax but Thatcher wasn't persuaded by idealogy - the problem was that councils and courts couldn't keep pace with non payers - if that ain't red tape what is?
    Of course the old rates system was more complex. In those days your bill was individualised, calculated from a complex number of factors such as the number of rooms, garages, toilets and even garage inspection pits (I had one once) you had in the dwelling.

On the other hand, the poll tax for everyone was the same amount, a straight fraction of the the amount the council wanted to collect. That couldn't really be any simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Of course the old rates system was more complex. .........
      On the other hand, ..... That couldn't really be any simpler.
      But houses (mostly) don't move about and who owns them is recorded already. The poll tax required a whole series of l new local databases of where everyone lived and needed to be kept updated with every move they made and whether they had paid up. No sane person could see that as areduction in red tape

Comment

Working...
      X