• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alistair Darling to raise income tax rate for top earners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45% at 150K will, at the worst, only marginally affect some high-end contractors.

It won't raise much tax either, but it will win some votes.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Heard on the radio this morning to justify the new 45% tax band: "Why should Jonathan Ross pay tax at the same rate as a doctor?"

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Heard on the radio this morning to justify the new 45% tax band: "Why should Jonathan Ross pay tax at the same rate as a doctor?"

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Was it on twice?

If anything JR should be on a punitive "annoyance factor" tax. As should Bob Crow, Bruce Forcythe and other far too numerous to mention here...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Was it on twice?

If anything JR should be on a punitive "annoyance factor" tax. As should Bob Crow, Bruce Forcythe and other far too numerous to mention here...
          I know his neighbours would agree with you......

Comment

I really don't see the problem. 45% is not really that high on earnings over £150K compared to the current rate. It's also not that high compared to other EU countries.

If it was 60% on all earnings over £50K you'd maybe see lots of people leaving the UK, but this is hardly going to change anybody's lifestyle.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I really don't see the problem. 45% is not really that high on earnings over £150K compared to the current rate. It's also not that high compared to other EU countries.

If it was 60% on all earnings over £50K you'd maybe see lots of people leaving the UK, but this is hardly going to change anybody's lifestyle.
              You've forgotten to add NI contributions...

Common mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                You've forgotten to add NI contributions...

Common mistake.
                It's still not a big change. You're already paying 40% on everything over ~£35K, an extra 5% on everything over £150K isn't a big deal. In fact I don't see why we don't already have a "super-high" income tax band... £35k is quite low for a higher tax bracket.

Comment

It's still not a big change. You're already paying 40% on everything over ~£35K, an extra 5% on everything over £150K isn't a big deal. In fact I don't see why we don't already have a "super-high" income tax band... £35k is quite low for a higher tax bracket.
                  You don't think that the tax take is way too high already, and that adding further complication to the system is a dumb idea?

Comment

Exactly whose money is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                      You don't think that the tax take is way too high already, and that adding further complication to the system is a dumb idea?
                      Income tax bands are hardly complicated, adding a higher one is not exactly going to make it confusing.

Comment

Working...
                      X