• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If VAT rate changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I doubt it.
    Please don't me that some systems have the Vat Rate hardcoded in ?

That doesn't make sense, and any programmer who hardcoded such a variable figure needs to be shot for idiocy.

Of course it's going to be hard coded!

I don't condone anyone doing it but when has this rate changed before now? I've seen shocking coding absolutely everywhere I have been, I'd be amazed if this wasn't an issue all over the place.

Quick, register VATRateChangeSoftwareUpdate.com!

Comment

There's nothing much wrong in hard coding, per say. It's more a deployment and testing issue.

Also, few systems I expect would be geared up to deal with timed changes in VAT levels. I could see lots of midnight roll outs occurring.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm sure I've hard coded PI many times.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Now the rumour is out there, this is going to kill retail sales between now and when the change is brought in.
          It's hardly going to make a huge difference to the cost of retail goods though is it? Even on something large like a TV.

Comment

I'm sure I've hard coded PI many times.

I thought that its value varied in different countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

I thought that its value varied in different countries.
              Something to do with the spin of the Earth. Like the way toilets work backwards in Australia.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Like the way toilets work backwards in Australia.
                That sounds messy :/

If the VAT reduction does make the FRS less attractive, what does switching back to 'normal' VAT accounting involve?

Comment

caveat - i understand economics like DimPrawn understood climate science...

assuming the FRS stays the same and VAT is cut, i can't say i'll be overjoyed but it does make a certain amount of sense, as it means that some of the cost of the VAT cut will be absorbed by well-paid IT contractors and other folks with similar arrangements. the only way for us to get any benefit from the cut is to get out on the high street with our contractor wodges and spend like mad on consumer electronics and suchlike....not putting it through as a business expense of course. and of course, an outbreak of high-street splurging is exactly what's needed (it says here) to sort out the current problems.
                  Originally posted by BolshieBastard
                  You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                    ...when has this rate changed before now?
                    The 17.5% rate was introduced in 1991; before that it had been at 15% since 1979. Before 1979 it was 8% for most goods and services, and 12.5% for "luxury" items.

(There have also been changes to what is and is not covered by the Zero Rate band.)

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                      I don't think he has thought it through.
                      NSS

Comment

Working...
                      X