• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phone jammers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mate bought one waaay waaaay back in the late 90's, just when mobile phones were starting to get irritating on public transport (trying all the different ringtones out on a new phone on the train!!! I was very close to helping the protagonist see what the ringtones sounded like from inside his colon).

It was a small cigarette packet sized box with two small antennae. Batteries Not Included.

Well worth it for the experience of watching a load of people suddenly stop midway thru a (nother pointless) mobile phone conversation ('Hi honey, I'm on the train') and stare blankly at their phones before dejectedly putting it down. Killed off the entire carriage.

I'm not a technophobe but mobile phone technology has to be one of last centuries most pointless time-wasting inventions. If I got a jammer I'd have it on practically all the time...

Comment

Shirley, a GS jammer only needs to be on for a few seconds, enough to drop the calls. So just a little push to make button, and press it as and when required.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        Keep us updated as to it's actual capabilities after you have received and tested it.
        will do.

Recon it will very occasionally get used, just a quick on off at that, just enough to bump the call. There are just some people that should not be allowed mobile phones.

Comment

Reckon

recon is an abbreviation for reconnoitre
          Last edited by NotAllThere; 24 November 2008, 12:04. Reason: .
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Reckon

recon is an abbreviation for reconnoitre
            Sentences end with a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              will do.

Recon it will very occasionally get used, just a quick on off at that, just enough to bump the call. There are just some people that should not be allowed mobile phones.
              Usually posh people. On my phone line the working classes talk quietly - its the posh gits who want their conversations terminating.

Though the other day there were 4 workmen in the carriage I usually sit in(as near the exit). They were talking loudly - so carriage was empty. I moved to next carriage as did everyone else. We all piled back to carriage at the exit - to which one of the builders asked his mate "where did all these people come from?".

I wish someone had replied.....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                WHS.

When some thug starts kicking your head in, and people around you can't call for help because of your jammer, you may start to feel that overhearing their conversations was a small price to pay.

And what about the guy in the next carriage who has a heart attack, and the train staff can't get an ambulance ready and waiting for him at the next station?

Sounds thoroughly selfish and irresponsible to me.
                At the risk of forming a bullying clique (again), I have to say that I agree with Nick completely. My dad volunteers as a first responder in the village (and surrounding area) where they live, as he can get out to someone with a defibrilator quicker than an ambulance can normally get there. The scheme is also extending throughout the country, but they all rely on mobile phones rather than anything more robust (e.g. ambulance / police radio frequencies).

I can only hope that when the need comes, no-one is blocking the signal so that the first aiders can get there.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                My understanding (please correct if wrong) is that they have a button to terminate conversations instantaneously.
                At which point, the caller thinks the call dropped, so tries again, and again and again... So either the jammer needs to keep doing it repeatedly, or it becomes an even more futile exercise.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

All they would have to do is move 5 yards to the side and their call would be recieved. The thing will not shut down a street or a village or a town.

Do people remember that there used to be a perfectly good world to live in before nokia.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    All they would have to do is move 5 yards to the side and their call would be recieved. The thing will not shut down a street or a village or a town.

Do people remember that there used to be a perfectly good world to live in before nokia.
                    In fact it was a good deal better. In London we have to put up with f**kwits looking at their mobiles/crackberries without looking where they are going.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      In fact it was a good deal better. In London we have to put up with f**kwits looking at their mobiles/crackberries without looking where they are going.
                      Dangleberries are doing my nut in on the trains these days, their key pads are way to noisey.

Comment

Working...
                      X