• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    chef, it might be just me, but you do seem to be in and out of contracts quite a lot.

If this is indeed the case, is the reason:

a) chef is a proper contractor and does proper contract work

or

b) chef is a hapless, shambling buffoon who never gets an extension

haha, i generally have anything from 3wk short term contracts with 3months the average and rarely there's the odd 6 months but not usually.

Mainly it's fixed piece work (i.e here's the requirements spec, install and configure x or make y system changes) and so extensions are fairly uncommon, but the longer projects (i.e design/document application z) have the possibilty of extensions... especially if, as usually happens, the client doesn't actually know what they want.

I'd say that puts me in the "proper contractor" category, although I have been known to shamble now and again but that's usually after one too many beers..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      You could always start farming gold in WoW....
      i think competing with the chinese and koreans would be a huge task.. worth a thought though

Actually I was thinking of maybe offering services (of the IT sort) to an NGO.I figure atleast then I'd get to travel and do my bit for society..

that or move to Berlin, cheap as chips there..

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        You could always start farming gold in WoW....
        Has the credit crunch affected the price of land in the various virtual worlds?

Comment

Commiserations chef

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Has the credit crunch affected the price of land in the various virtual worlds?
            it seemd so, yes, although I haven't ever played Second Life

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              .. as of first week in december, any guesses on when the next contract will be?

my guess:

December - nobody usually hires in december
              January - traditionally slow, 2009 nothing
              February - it usually picks up but by then the pound will be down with the Laos kip or Chilean Peso so unlikely unless some depts have some remains of a budget to "spend it or lose it"
              March - no chance, budgets are spent
              April - new year, new budgets, maybe some work might start materialising

so, given this cheerful news, what's the fashion in bench cushions these days?
              I was given my notice on Friday morning from someone in the project office. Team leader has said (and put in writing to the PM) that they need me to get that part of the project implemented successfully, but they want to save money...

So, I'll let you know what I'm wearing on a daily basis - much in the same way that AtW tells us about his lunch...
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Chef, whilst on the bench, perhaps you could take on a special project - go through the CUK member list and remove all sock puppets.
                Yes, they should all be exterminated!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                  Yes, they should all be exterminated!
                  Wouldn't that mean you'd have to go back to being threaded, threaded ?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sorry to hear Chef.

Hopefully something will turn up soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                      Chef, whilst on the bench, perhaps you could take on a special project - go through the CUK member list and remove all sock puppets.
                      Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                      I love that idea.
                      You would. Punish the little outcast.

I may be soft and furry but I have a really good pair of walnut nunkhucks.

Sorry to hear about the bench chef. I'll be hitting it in Jan though client may ask me to do 2 days a week which is nice to keep the sharks away from the door.
                      Last edited by Sockpuppet; 18 November 2008, 12:34.

Comment

Working...
                      X