• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Since when did advent begin on November 17th?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baaah humbug.

It'll all end in tears. Always does.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      baaah humbug.

I love Christmas, unfortunately it starting too early it spoils it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        P.S. I guess you've realised now that I'm not really Santa.
        Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I love Christmas, unfortunately it starting too early it spoils it for me.
          WYS

Comment

I possit that starting Xmas early, with all the decorations and stuff, is just the same as hanging a large Union flag out of the window. It's only purpose is to upset the minorities by saying 'We're real British and you're not, and if you don't like it bugger off to wherever it is yer came from'.

And should be treated as such by the authorities. Once one or two get dragged into court for so much as a 'Ho ho ho' as they pass Mr. Patels corner shop we'll have less of this Xmas nonsense.

Comment

Advent runs from the 30th Nov. To 6pm (or thereabouts - First Vespers actually) on Christmas Eve, then Christmas properly starts.

Which is why a lot of people (including me!) say that Christmas starts when the first carol begins from the R4 broadcast of Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings College, Cambridge.

Christmas shopping however begins in August!
              When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
                Is true. I have a table in the study with presents already wrapped. Only 5 more to arrive in the post, any day now, and then Xmas can be enjoyed without the nonsense that is last minute shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
                  Advent runs from the 30th Nov. To 6pm (or thereabouts - First Vespers actually) on Christmas Eve, then Christmas properly starts.

Which is why a lot of people (including me!) say that Christmas starts when the first carol begins from the R4 broadcast of Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings College, Cambridge.

This year, it begins on 30th November. Next year, it will begin on 29th November.

And Christmas shopping starts in January for us - no better time than the 80% off sales
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    This year, it begins on 30th November. Next year, it will begin on 29th November.

And Christmas shopping starts in January for us - no better time than the 80% off sales
                    It begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas day, which as you say is the 30th Nov. this year, 29th next.

The missus wont buy Christmas cards in January, she says "people" (which I believe to be a euphamism for "other women") will know that the cards will be "last years". They all look alike to me anyway!
                    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                      baaah humbug.

Yep. Soon as my relatives come round.

Probably wont see the outlaws - they know I am a miserable git and keep well clear......

Comment

Working...
                      X