• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with Germans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always find it disturbing when German colleagues use the phrase 'final solution'.

One even said he was 'only following orders' the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Toastiness View Post
      I always find it disturbing when German colleagues use the phrase 'final solution'.

I think your German colleagues may have discovered irony. I know, highly unlikely, but definitely possible....
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Toastiness View Post

I had one German project manager who gave us all coloured stars to wear, depending on our race etc!!!

Comment

I know one who wanted to finish the project as quickly as possible before opposition could be readied. One person did put up a very large barrier, but we just went around it. One pesky little bugger did resist for a long time mainly as he wasnt part fo the company proper, we got bored trying to get to him, so we backstabbed another project, but it turned out they had a bigger budget and ended up eating up our project. Our manager resigned and we got broken up into pieces for other project teams to run.

Comment

Anyone know any German jokes?

Comment

Knock knock
              Who is there?
              The Gestappo

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                There was a discussion because I did use the term "should" as many english would, with the meaning that there should be 99.99% percent probability it will work. Of course, this can never be accepted by any germanic person who only understand 100% or 0%.
                I seem to remember reading somewhere that an instruction manual in India had to be rewritten, because when it said that in certain circumstances somebody "should" do something, they took that to mean that it was optional. In fact I suspect most non-British english speakers would interpret it that way. Why didn't the writer say "must" if that's what he/she meant?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Anyone know any German jokes?
                  Zis German, sorry
                  this German walks into the project office, und says
                  sorry
                  and says

'I vud like to introduce Oeg'
                  'He ist mein Alter ego'

I just made that one up
                  IGMC

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

English

A lot of things in English are interpreted in context whereas this is apparently not the case in many other languages.

A few I can think of Saying: Meaning

"This really should have been completed by now" : WTF isnt it done?
                    "He needs training" : He is fcking useless
                    "Mistakes where made" : its a total fckup
                    "I need to discuss the options with you" : You will sit down,STFU and do what I say.
                    "You appear to have resource issues" :You and your team are lazy cnuts.
                    "Referring to the company org chart.." : You are my b1tch
                    "Communication appears to be an issue" : WTF didnt you listen?
                    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                      "Mistakes where made" : its a total fckup
                      I see what you did there

Comment

Working...
                      X