• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gas and electricity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Wasn't it a bit boring sitting in a big, dark and cold house every evening?
    I think he meant that he has 4 detached beds, in one room.

It's impossible that the total cost for Gas & Electric is only £66 for 3 months... unless he means that his costs over & above his direct debit were £66.

Comment

But, how much did he spend on takeaways and alcohol and hired "friends"?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Insulation? do you have any?

I think we're on about £1400 - and that's with the wife running the fire in the morning and evening. Central heating on about 21 when we're at home and 17 when we're asleep.

Switched to click 5 energy in August - which BG raised quietly raised the price of in September! - and still paying off the debt to the previous supplier.
        Have cavity wall, loft insulation and double glazing.

I think it's the electricity. So many appliances on (tumble dryers, dishwasher, washing machine, electric oven, microwave, giant fridge freezer, 1500W in lighting, computers, servers, big TV's).

But hey, I like to have comfort.

Comment

I do most things in one room, my bedroom and office, which is south-facing and elevated so stays pretty warm anyway. Why heat rooms that you don't use?! It's just a waste of money and bad for the environment.

When I am not in the house, which is about 4 evenings a week, I am not even heating that bedroom. Showers, I normally have down at my gym. In the next six weeks I will be in Greece and Brazil so I will only be at home for a week. Even more money saved!!

It could get really expensive though, if I had a lodger or a wife.

Comment

Do you have a roof?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              I think he meant that he has 4 detached beds, in one room.

It's impossible that the total cost for Gas & Electric is only £66 for 3 months... unless he means that his costs over & above his direct debit were £66.

Oh no it's not !! That was my full bill(gas + electric) for the quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                It could get really expensive though, if I had a lodger or a wife.
                would be really surprising

Comment

I use uswitch once per year around the end of January.

Even with 5 people, 4 bedroom, 6 a/c units - and a double bath - we average at £100 per month. For gas and electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    would be really surprising

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                      Do you have a roof?

I have cavity wall insulation, and a roof !!

Comment

Working...
                      X