• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need some "rates" advice please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you should have a word with "Pop", he likes eager young boys!
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

I have just been invoicing the companies once the jobs are complete. In April, I didn't even need to fill out a self assessment form because IR told me I didn't need to - came as a bit of a shock I must admit.

I don't trade under a limited company. I assume... I should though?
      People say I'm lazy... but I like to think I'm just energy efficient...

Comment

Originally posted by VBM2
        I have just been invoicing the companies once the jobs are complete. In April, I didn't even need to fill out a self assessment form because IR told me I didn't need to - came as a bit of a shock I must admit.

I don't trade under a limited company. I assume... I should though?
        How are you paying your Tax & NI?
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

Oh right I see what you mean now haha. I paid via cheque to IR

Comment

Anyways, I've made meh decision. Thanks for all your help

Comment

Oh right I see what you mean now haha. I paid via cheque to IR
              How did you calculate your contributions?

Anyway, get yourself on a .NET course, form a PLC (Only paupers use a Ltd.) and then start charging £6.5k a day.
              You know you'll need us!

Comment

"He's 19 FFS!"

And what difference should that make? If he is doing the work he should get the rate. Why should the fact that he is 19 mean that he has to accept £35 per day. I would say £100 is on the low side.

Obviously it depends on what he is actually doing. Is he programming in VBA or is he just recording macros?
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The contract I did last week that I've already mentioned involved me writing a macro script in VBA/SQL/ADO to export data from Excel workbooks into a big Access database that the companies clients' use. So it is proper programming work.

Well.. I have proposed that my wage fourthcoming shall be between £8-£10 an hour and the company has accepted it. They made it quite clear they wanted to use moi again so... Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it. Once I've clocked up another 6 months contracting experience, I've told them I'm going to review my rates again and they were happy for me to do that so all good

VBM

Comment

Once I've clocked up another 6 months contracting experience, I've told them I'm going to review my rates again
                    VBM
                    Now that is a good attitude, shame it wont get you anywhere. If you can get 30 an hour elsewhere then go elsewhere.
                    They want you because you are the cheapest way of getting the job done.

You have to be mercenary in this game. Nobody else is looking out for your welfare.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X