• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can someone paraphrase the need for the EU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by London75 View Post
    I'm no expert on most things economical and political but I'm trying to pay more attention these days and absorb a bit more knowledge.

However one area I still know very little about (one of many areas) is why we need the EU.

So as a few on here say "pah, we'd be nothing without Europe", can you explain why? What are the benefits and what is the drive for a blanket constitution and uniform legislation?

I am biased against after living in France for a while but am mostly open minded.

For example, if we are in to "give something back" to the poorer states then so be it, just want to know what it's for and why we want to be in it.
    We need the EU to help us decide what shape our bananas should be.

They will also try to do what atw wants - which is to make the city uncompetitive so it moves back to New York. Well he wants the first bit but not the second bit.

Comment

It's essential for the likes of Mandelson, Kinnock and other has-beens to keep their noses in the tax-payers trough.

Toot-toot! Let's all ride the EU gravy train!

Apart from that, zero benefit whatsoever.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
        In sum: There are a lot of power-hungry politicians for whom starting a war between their home country and a trumped-up Axis of Terror is simply not spectacular enough to generate well-paying post-premiership book sales and lecturing gigs. Some politicians also quite fancy raking-in a few extra quid for doing very little far away and generally unnoticed by their own voters.
        whits the score wi' that Axis o'Evil - ah mind that last month those Bampots North Koreans was takin' aff the list - so thats means its jist Iran and Iraq noo ?

No' much of a list if ye ask me ...

PS is russhya on the Axis'o'evil list noo as well ?
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 11 November 2008, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          It's essential for the likes of Mandelson, Kinnock and other has-beens to keep their noses in the tax-payers trough.

Toot-toot! Let's all ride the EU gravy train!

Apart from that, zero benefit whatsoever.

HTH
          Can't they just go and become bankers like Blair, Nott etcetc did?

Oh yeah - banks are ****ed. And those lot always were bankers anyway - just in the cockney rhyming slang sense......

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Urp:

Better to be on the train p1ssing out, than on the platform trying to p1ss in.
            a classic sketch that. but was it enfield or whitehouse who delivered it?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              whits the score wi' that Axis o'Evil - ah mind that last month those Bampots North Koreans was takin' aff the list - so thats means its jist Iran and Iraq noo ?

No' much of a list if ye ask me ...

PS is russhya on the Axis'o'evil list noo as well ?
              Please, I beg of you, stop.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                a classic sketch that. but was it enfield or whitehouse who delivered it?
                Enfield, it was the Tories explaining Europe
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

So, had my lunch and come back to nothing particularly compelling. Should've known.

I suppose I could do my own research! :Panic:

I tried to find if anyone had done a study on the added benefit of reduced border controls and unlimited migration over a Us vs The World approach. They all say things like Europe is responsible for xxxBn in trade but it's not like we wouldn't be able to trade with Europe without the EU so not all of that made up figure is down to EU benefits.

Ah well, I'll give up asking questions.

What prompted it was the report today that in a move to flatten consumer legislation, the EU wishes to remove our right to a refund when buying goods that turn out to be faulty because most other countries don't have it. What possible benefit can that yield!

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
                    So, had my lunch and come back to nothing particularly compelling. Should've known.

I suppose I could do my own research! :Panic:

I tried to find if anyone had done a study on the added benefit of reduced border controls and unlimited migration over a Us vs The World approach. They all say things like Europe is responsible for xxxBn in trade but it's not like we wouldn't be able to trade with Europe without the EU so not all of that made up figure is down to EU benefits.

Ah well, I'll give up asking questions.

What prompted it was the report today that in a move to flatten consumer legislation, the EU wishes to remove our right to a refund when buying goods that turn out to be faulty because most other countries don't have it. What possible benefit can that yield!

ok, let me explain it another way.

Imagine if you had £100 and some travel tickets. You go over to france and change your money into francs, Italy - lire, Germany - dm .
                    etc etc etc

when you get back to blighty, you change your money back to pounds and you only have £3.50 left.

Now, thanks to the EU, its such a turd hole that you go to Australia instead.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Here's another benefit. The EU have reduced unwanted red tape, like removing the need to balance the EU budget properly. This means that we contractors can now just stick whatever numbers we like on our Company Annual Returns. I anticipate a six-figure tax rebate.

They have also stopped the (elected) MEPs interfering with directives from the (unelected) European Commision. It's difficult to see how this benefits the humble contractor, but I'm sure it's a GOOD THING.

And of course there's the latin crumpet.

Comment

Working...
                      X