• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Of course taxation hits the middle classes. The working and poor classes don't have enough money, and the wealthy classes are able to avoid it.
    I think the right solution here is to provide conditions that would allow poor classes to greatly reduce in numbers rather than spoon feed them with small a mounts of money that would never change their behavior and will keep them poor forever. I'd accept tax that is designed for just that so long as good progress can be shown.

Taxation should not be there to change behaviour. It should be for necessary government funding. As for behaviour, if it is undeniably harmful, make it a crime; if not, let people decide for themselves.
    Taxation has got a number of purposes. One is changing behavior, another is fiscal and there are a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Taxation has got a number of purposes. One is changing behavior, another is fiscal and there are a few more.
      I said "should".

Comment

I said "should".
        Change of (bad) behavior is one of a few things taxation might be good for - any tax should pursue a goal of changing behavior. For example rewarding with lower income tax for higher incomes, that's incentive to earn more rather than stay on benefits.

You are looking at tax like labour do - steal from some to give some to others who will in exchange vote for you - that amount of tax is never allowed to change the situation (from poor to middle classes), so it keeps going on and on and on - if you are poor and you get public support in form of tax then you must take reasonable steps to change - if you are disabled then fair play, can happen, but if you are healthy person who can work you should not be staying on benefits and avoiding work, that's complete bull.

If you are poor you should work twice as hard to stop being poor rather than rely on state handouts to continue poor existance.

Comment

Tax on the dead is completely wrong - super rich arrange their affairs so that they don't pay it or at least for them its small fish, but it really hits middle taxes.
          You can't tax the dead. You are taxing the beneficiaries of the estate, not those who have died.

Taxation should be there to alter behaviors (like say I think diesel should be cheaper than petrol to make people drive diesel cars and save fuel and money), but how does tax on death change behavior, you think people will die less? No, its a cynical money grab - how would you feel if robber stole lots of stuff from your house when you or your relative died using that death as good excuse to enrich himself? If you don't like it you should not like that tax. And i f you like that tax feel free to opt into paying it, just don't impose your views on others.
          Again, it's not a tax on the dead. As someone else above has implied, you could take this idea one logical step further (since inheritance tax is a tax on the redistribution of money) and say that if I pay my plumber from money that I've already paid tax on, then he shouldn't be taxed on it again. The downside of this is, of course, that that somewhat reduces the amount of tax revenue.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            You can't tax the dead. You are taxing the beneficiaries of the estate, not those who have died.

Again, it's not a tax on the dead. As someone else above has implied, you could take this idea one logical step further (since inheritance tax is a tax on the redistribution of money) and say that if I pay my plumber from money that I've already paid tax on, then he shouldn't be taxed on it again. The downside of this is, of course, that that somewhat reduces the amount of tax revenue.
            Gordon wants less tax. So I think he's hinting we should fiddle our tax returns a bit more.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ighlight=moral

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I don't give a ***K how you define it - the reality of situation is that some people who inherit a house are forced to sell it in order to pay tax (and right now in time of falling prices they are well and truly shafted) - this means that in some cases they would have to leave house they wanted to stay in! The house that meant a lot for them because their loved one lived there!

Case in point - 2 sisters who live in the UK are old and they live in the same house, they tried to get concession that if one of them dies the other will inherit the house tax free - it's an old house but it was valued well above threshold (that is too low btw), so one of them will die and the other will have to sell house to pay the tax bill, how is that ****ing right?

As someone else above has implied, you could take this idea one logical step further (since inheritance tax is a tax on the redistribution of money)
                Some taxes are necessary, however it is wrong to tax everything at ridiculous rates - tax on income should not be high to encourage those who are on benefits to work, if anything benefits should be taxed rather than honest income from work - plumber or not.

Comment

I don't give a ***K how you define it - the reality of situation is that some people who inherit a house are forced to sell it in order to pay tax (and right now in time of falling prices they are well and truly shafted) - this means that in some cases they would have to leave house they wanted to stay in! The house that meant a lot for them because their loved one lived there!

Case in point - 2 sisters who live in the UK are old and they live in the same house, they tried to get concession that if one of them dies the other will inherit the house tax free - it's an old house but it was valued well above threshold (that is too low btw), so one of them will die and the other will have to sell house to pay the tax bill, how is that ****ing right?
                  So, some old dear wants to get a house that they like, and not pay any tax on it. Come to that, so would I - I'd quite like the one that I grew up in, and not pay any tax to get it. I'd also like to get everything for free, and still earn loads of money without paying any tax on that.

However, that's the rules - no party has said that they would change them to help your two old dears out.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Some taxes are necessary, however it is wrong to tax everything at ridiculous rates - tax on income should not be high to encourage those who are on benefits to work, if anything benefits should be taxed rather than honest income from work - plumber or not.
                    Indeed! Why are there bad people in the world and why does injustice exist? I could arrange for two American gents to visit and explain it all to you. They even have a nice magazine, the Watchtower, I think it's called. PM me if interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X