• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hurrah: British Justice can be sensible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurrah: British Justice can be sensible

From the Sun

Finally, a common sense verdict delivered by the British justice system.

A HERO who belted a burglar with a spade was praised by a judge and told: “I only wish you’d hit him harder.”
    Brave Terry Bearpark, 20, barged down a door and waded into two raiders attacking neighbour Frances Falshaw, 55.
    He whacked one over the head with the spade and chased the other away.
    The man he felled, violent housebreaker Heath Randall, was jailed for seven years by Judge Guy Whitburn, QC, after being convicted of aggravated burglary.
    The judge also awarded Terry £100 at Teesside Crown Court for his public-spirited action in Grangetown, near Middlesbrough.
    And he said: “What you did was absolutely right. I only wish you’d hit him harder. The sense of community is alive and well in Grangetown.”
    Judge Whitburn warned Randall, 39, he would face a life sentence if he re-offended on his release, saying: “Serious attacks on people in their own houses are going to be punished.”
    The judge’s comments came after The Sun led calls for burglars and violent criminals to be given tougher sentences.
    The issue of how far home owners can go to protect themselves has raged since farmer Tony Martin was jailed in 2000 for shooting dead a burglar in Norfolk.
    The jury heard how Randall — who has previous convictions for burglary, assault and imprisoning a 75-year-old man in his own home — had forced his way into mum Frances’s house.
    He told his accomplice to hit her with a hammer to shut her up “even if you have to kill her”.
    As Frances fought the thugs Terry heard her screaming and put his 16st frame to the door, smashing it open.
    He said: “This lad swung a hammer at my head and missed so I saw a shovel on the floor and picked it up.”
    He said he had hit Randall “a good one on the head” then ran after the other yob — who escaped and has never been caught.
    Terry, who was “looking out” for Frances after an earlier break-in, added: “Like the judge said, I wish I’d hit that lad harder. They are just junkie scum.”
    Tearful Frances described Randall as “evil”, adding: “I’m relieved he is off the streets.”
    Det Insp Colin Galloway said: “The attack on Mrs Falshaw was an act of extreme violence.”
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Working...
X