• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US motorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunnysan
    Considering that when I was there in 2001 it cost $14 to fill the tank its small wonder that they are whinging slightly
    The problem is with the SUV things. The USA introduced legislation in the 70s (after the OPEC oil shock) to limit the production of gas gusslers (well by their standards). It was the end of the american super muscle car, if you look at the emissions and fuel consumption of modern american cars they are pretty good e.g. 3.8 mustang will do over 30mpg.

However thanks to some heavy lobbying, Jeep et al managed to get pick up trucks reclassified as comercial vehicles which allowed them to operate outside of the legislation. It's a bizzare situation where cars are clean and relatively efficient but SUVs are incredibly wastefull and dirty.

I guess they didn't see the SUV craze coming.A bit of an own goal really considering 1 in 3 of american new vehicles is an SUV, meaning america is more reliant on OPEC than ever.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 September 2005, 13:02.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

"Considering that when I was there in 2001 it cost $14 to fill the tank its small wonder that they are whinging slightly"

You were driving a tank - I never managed to get that from Hertz
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by GiGo
        Yeah - the parts of the US I've been to always require payment in advance, so I'm sceptical about this article.
        Agreed. Even 10 years ago this was not uncommon. When I was there last year in the west and mid-west, it seemed a universal policy.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          DP, can't be arsed to check your calculations, but did you take into account that US gallon is smaller than UK's?
          A UK gallon is c. 1.2 times larger than a US gallon.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
            A UK gallon is c. 1.2 times larger than a US gallon.
            That does not really answer my question, does it? You must be an IT person

Comment

Look, at the height of the disaster US petrol was £1.60 a gallon (now down to about £1.20 I believe).

You fecking work out what that is per litre. Probably close to 40p then and 30p now. And they are going fecking bananas at that level. If they were charged over £4 a gallon like we are there would be blood on the streets and Bush would be hanging from a lampost outside the Whitehouse.

Over here, we're going to stand outside a few oil refineries for 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                That does not really answer my question, does it? You must be an IT person
                yes replying to a none related IT question on an IT website..............
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

And they are going fecking bananas at that level.
                  Its not the level per se that matters, its the pace of change: UK motorists were okay with petrol for 70-75p, but now not happy when its 99p, but the increase in price for the USA is much higher, which means that their disposable income dropped more seriously then here. That's the issue, not the price per se.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    Look, at the height of the disaster US petrol was £1.60 a gallon (now down to about £1.20 I believe).

You fecking work out what that is per litre. Probably close to 40p then and 30p now. And they are going fecking bananas at that level. If they were charged over £4 a gallon like we are there would be blood on the streets and Bush would be hanging from a lampost outside the Whitehouse.

Over here, we're going to stand outside a few oil refineries for 10 minutes.

True, but if your truck does 10 mpg it's costing you the same as a UK fiesta driver. They need to look at their transport and not the prices.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 September 2005, 13:43.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I think it would make more sense to put a tax on the purchase of vehicles that do not meet certain efficiency levels.

Any vehicle that's a gas guzzler should have a huge tax levy imposed on purchase.

In this way, manufacturers have a very good reason to build and research into sustainable systems.

Comment

Working...
                      X