• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: US motorists

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "US motorists"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by planetit
    Then they won't pay it. That's why it's called a FREE market.
    How does invasion of Iraq fits into FREE market?

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    It appears now that the American public does not like to pay free market prices.
    Then they won't pay it. That's why it's called a FREE market.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I believe it's called a free market.
    It appears now that the American public does not like to pay free market prices.

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    They'll probably end up being bought by Toyota/Mitsubishi/Volksvagen/Renault/BMW/whatever. And then these companies will dictate what Americans drive
    No the American public will dictate what Americans drive, just as they do now. I believe it's called a free market.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I don't recall the Porsche having a diesel engine?

Now this is a diesel engine.

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:
    Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
    Length: 89 feet
    Height: 44 feet
    Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
    Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    The VW golf GTtdi has to be the best balance of economy and performance. I'm thinking of getting one for a beater.
    yep, from technical point of view its the best, however I would have still gotten 307 because it has better looks. Rather crap that PUG now fked up looks with that ugly POS of a nose, which means my next car is going to be Porsche 911 Carrera 4.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I like my 307, the only thing that I don't like in Peugeot is that they have poor choice of performance diesels, the best currently goes to 136 bph, losers -- VW is much better in this respect, but I despise looks of new Golf.

The VW golf GTtdi has to be the best balance of economy and performance. I'm thinking of getting one for a beater.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I like my 307, the only thing that I don't like in Peugeot is that they have poor choice of performance diesels, the best currently goes to 136 bph, losers -- VW is much better in this respect, but I despise looks of new Golf.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I wouldn't buy another peugeot due to the crap build quality, but the one I use isn't mine. Can't fault the engine, mine you neither can ford who use peugeot/citreon engines in all their diesels.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The only diesel Peugeot I'd consider.

The HDi engine has a displacement of 2 168 cm3with four cylinders, a twin overhead camshaft and sixteen valves. Due to work on the design of the chambers, injection pressures, reinforced on rods and a new turbo charger, the maximum power of this "standard" engine is 129 kW and the maximum torque is 400 Nm. Of course, a particulate emission filter is incorporated into the exhaust line.

RC Spades RC Diamonds
    0 to 100 (km/h) 6 seconds
    1 000 m - DA 26 seconds
    Maximum speed 230 km/h
    Mixed (l /100 km) 7.7 4.9
    CO2 emissions (g/km) 183 132
    Estimated kerb weight (kg) From 900 to 950
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 14 September 2005, 17:15.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I personally find the clatter of diesels offends my sense of mechanical excellence, which aspires to the "silent" running of machinery. The diesel version of my car (Mondeo)

seriously

I use a peugeot 307 diesel as a beater when not driving my sports car. I have to say it's a very good motorway car and thanks to torque it pulls swiftly in any gear, you don't have to keep changing gear, which is great in stop start traffic!

you may laugh at diesel, but look at the new bmw 530 diesel, under 7.5 seconds to 60 and faster than the petrol 50-70! Lamborghni are currently testing diesel engines! The manufacturers know petrols days are numbered
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 September 2005, 17:05.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Most US gas stations don't even sell diesel as no one there drives one and none of the US car makers make a diesel model.

The future is diesel running on biodiesel, but only if our government drops duty on bio-fuels. Which Gordon will never do. The fat ****.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    When the SUV market crashes, then Ford and GM crash too.
    They will just switch to building something else - its not like people will stop buying cars, in fact if they get rid of old crap cars, then they will have to buy something more economical running on diesel, and while I don't know much abou t GM, Ford has got diesel tech and its only matter of user acceptance in the USA, well almost.

Want to reduce dependency on OPEC? Raise taxes on petrol and leave diesel fuel at the same level, in fact make a ladder with annual tax rises that will reach prohibitative level after 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    hang on, I don't know that much about cars, true (well I don't know the technical details) but I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere that the American manufacturers (Ford and GM, since Chrysler does not qualify as it has been bought by Mercedes I think?) depend for their life on SUVs and don't sell much else any more. They are in deep sh1t and only the SUVs maintains them afloat at present. When the SUV market crashes, then Ford and GM crash too. They'll probably end up being bought by Toyota/Mitsubishi/Volksvagen/Renault/BMW/whatever. And then these companies will dictate what Americans drive

Leave a comment:

• The Late, Great JC
    replied
    Rebecca, the Japanese and European cars sold in America are (funnily enough) built FOR America. E.g. Nissan SUVs, and often built IN America.

It’s not New Zealand you know.
    Planet, you're forgetting something? Becky is female and therefore knows nothing about cars, not even where to put the fuel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X