• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brazen political polemic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Fonzie
    Oh
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The American system, the utimate triumpth of style over substance
      But is there a better one? You know Obama's campaign had massive funding from people making individual contributions to a cause they believe in. Think that would happen in the UK? And religion is an integral part of American life, and politics.
      Bored.

Comment

I think they have a system where you won't win unless:

a/ you keep mentioning God
        b/ you are good out soundbites
        c/ you are bankrolled to the tune of tens of millions

The American system, the utimate triumpth of style over substance
        I read an economic article recently that suggested the cause and effect of cash in an election is not as obvious.

It seemed to suggest that the winning candidate received more money but not that the candidate with the most money wins. The evidence seemed pretty convincing on the surface.

B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
          I read an economic article recently that suggested the cause and effect of cash in an election is not as obvious.

It seemed to suggest that the winning candidate received more money but not that the candidate with the most money wins. The evidence seemed pretty convincing on the surface.

But a candidate with little money won't win, which is counter to my understanding of democracy
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

But a candidate with little money won't win, which is counter to my understanding of democracy
            I think the point is, a candidate who does not have enough support, will:
            a) not raise much money, and
            b) not win.

One is not causing the other.

Comment

Imagine America with immigrants destroying the indigenous culture.

Yours
              Chief Cybertory speak with forked tongue

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                I am so glad you said that, I thought it was just me being mean!!! I saw him do it last night and he just looked like some old Grandad trying to be cool!
                Every time I see McCain I think of the “It’s” man at the beginning of Monty Python. He is a walking, well, hobbling, casualty ward. The man has some bizarre injury that means he can’t lift his arms above shoulder height. That’s because when he got burnt to a cinder at war, he went back for more and got shot down. Eventually, he was captured by the enemy and spent years of starvation and torture in a PoW camp, and refused the offer of the enemy to go home early, saying he didn’t want to leave his mates behind. Obviously the Vietcong were tiring of his political speeches and wanted to be rid of him, but he was having none of it. Having witnessed and even suffered all the horrors of war, he joined the Republican party and supported sending lots more young chappies and chappesses to get their asses blown apart in wars. He has three sons who all joined the navy, one of whom is now fighting in Iraq, and will, in about 20 years time, turn up on the stage at a Republican party conference, probably even more mutilated than his Dad, to launch his campaign for the presidency.

Now then, Mr McCain seems an honourable chap, brave war hero and all that, but I can’t help thinking that there’s a dose of stupidity in his years of public service. My grandfathers both went to war, got their medals and were undeniably brave men, but it turned them into pacifists. Both were pretty schocked when my Dad joined the army, and the one remaining grandfather is very pleased that I’ve never volunteered to put my ass in the way of bullets, because he’s seen what it does to people.

In short, I wouldn’t want as president a guy who has been through all the horrors of war yet puts across a message that young people should go and join the army. I share the view of Wilfred Owen;

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
                Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
                And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
                His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
                If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
                Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
                Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
                Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
                My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
                To children ardent for some desperate glory,
                The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
                Pro patria mori.

Right then, back to the laughing and joking.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Now then, Mr McCain seems an honourable chap, brave war hero and all that, but I can’t help thinking that there’s a dose of stupidity in his years of public service. My grandfathers both went to war, got their medals and were undeniably brave men, but it turned them into pacifists. Both were pretty schocked when my Dad joined the army, and the one remaining grandfather is very pleased that I’ve never volunteered to put my ass in the way of bullets, because he’s seen what it does to people.

In short, I wouldn’t want as president a guy who has been through all the horrors of war yet puts across a message that young people should go and join the army. I share the view of Wilfred Owen;

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
                  Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
                  And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
                  His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
                  If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
                  Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
                  Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
                  Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
                  My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
                  To children ardent for some desperate glory,
                  The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
                  Pro patria mori

Right then, back to the laughing and joking.
                  That's probably why my dad never had any exciting or funny stories to tell about action in WWII until his kids were all too old to join up. Then he had loads of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post

Freakanomics, good book

TM

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
                      Freakanomics, good book

TM
                      crap
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X