• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The writing is on the wall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The writing is on the wall

Gates shows off Windows Vista and Office 12

First public demo reveals snazzy new graphical interface…
    By Andy McCue

Published: Tuesday 13 September 2005

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates claims the bold promises of e-commerce and e-government made in the early 1990s are finally ready to be made a reality with a new "wave" of software development that can be built on the foundation of Windows Vista and Office 12.

Speaking at Microsoft's Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles Gates showed off the first public demo of Vista and the next version of Office and said they are about "connecting people to the information they want" and improving the productivity of workers.

"For e-commerce and e-government…the foundation pieces have been laid," he said. "People are not paid to just browse at work."

Office 12, which is scheduled for release at the same time as Vista in the second half of 2006, will be the most significant release of the software since Office 95 a decade ago, according to Gates.

The Office 12 demo revealed graphical command tabs in the tool bars to help users navigate through tasks more easily in response to complaints that many find it too hard to take advantage of much of the functionality in the software.

Excel will have things like the capability to put coloured data bars in cells to help users visualise the information while Outlook features a new 'To Do' bar that lists tasks by time and day, along with a new feature for previewing email attachments in the window without having to open them first.

A demo of Windows Vista also showed off the software's 3D tabbing capability and a "gadget" bar – a remarkably similar concept to Apple's 'Widgets' - at the side for users to add in any pieces of software such as clocks or games to customise their desktop.

Gates also pointed to the emergence of RSS not only as a tool for consumers to aggregate news and information but for businesses as well, and Outlook in Office 12 has the ability to aggregate a user's RSS feeds.

He said the next wave of Windows software builds on billions of dollars of investment dating back to the early .Net and XML announcements in 2000 and that it will make the user experience richer and more productive.

---------

I am planning on getting to ask Bill Gates a few questions in person some time later, please post yours here and I will consider whether they are worthy to be added to my list.

And if AtW doesn't quite manage it I will be asking the Chief Architect next time we're having beer and pizza after pulling an all nighter.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

"People are not paid to just browse at work."

Shurely shome mishtake ?

I think youll find there are vast amounts of people who are in effect paid to browse at work, and a jolly good thing that is too.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        "People are not paid to just browse at work."

Shurely shome mishtake ?

I think youll find there are vast amounts of people who are in effect paid to browse at work, and a jolly good thing that is too.
        I concur, more champers old boy?
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
          I concur, more champers old boy?
          Pip-Pip Old Bean !!!

Is turning water into champagne part of your modern miracoulous repertoire perchance ?

My goodness ... Ive been talking to Jesus !

I've been talking to Jesus all my life
          oh yes he knows me
          and he knows I'm right

On the cover of the magazine
          there's no question why I'm smiling
          you buy a piece of paradise
          you buy a piece of me

I'll get you everything you wanted
          I'll get you everything you need
          don't need to believe in hereafter
          just believe in me

Cos Jesus he knows me
          and he knows I'm right
          I've been talking to Jesus all my life
          oh yes he knows me
          and he knows I'm right
          and he's been telling me
          everything is alright
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 14 September 2005, 12:10.

Comment

Working...
          X