• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airbag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag

Does anyone know how to disable the passenger airbag - specifically in a Vauxhall Zafira (1999) ???

BTW, there is no deactivation switch.

Run the car into a brick wall thus disabling all bags for future use.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Google it
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit
        Does anyone know how to disable the passenger airbag - specifically in a Vauxhall Zafira (1999) ???

BTW, there is no deactivation switch.
        Is there a key switch in the Glove Compartment?
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

In answer to the above:

"Run the car into a brick wall thus disabling all bags for future use." - Surely this will disable the car and me at the same time

"Google it" - tried that - found nowt.

"Is there a key switch in the Glove Compartment?" - no unfortunately not.

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit
            In answer to the above:

"Run the car into a brick wall thus disabling all bags for future use." - Surely this will disable the car and me at the same time
            You only asked me to disable the airbags, you realy should learn to spec the job better.
            No, the air bags should save you!
            Moderate speed to set bags off but not write off car.

Simple.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Often times there is at least one accelerometer somewhere, normally one behind the bumper. Find it and give it a good whack with a rubber hammer.

There is also normally one in the airbag itself, but I would not recommend hitting the airbag yourself with a rubber hammer. Get whoever it is you are trying to injure to do it for you.

Incidentally it used to be the case that many higher quality cars, when parked, if you gave them a good whack with a rubber hammer, in the right place, would not only set the airbags off, but would actually open the doors for you as well.

After the car thieves discovered this there was a general recal on those vehicles.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Assuming you don’t actually want to trigger the airbag (and nowadays that’s a little more complex than the others are suggesting) it may be software configurable. If so, I’m afraid it is likely to be a manufacturer specific parameter, so you need access to a GM standard diagnostic tester (or a generic one with the GM protocol added). If google is no help then it looks like your friendly neighbourhood Vauxhall dealer is the best bet.

Sorry can't be more helpfull, only GM product I ever worked on was a truck. And it didn't have an airbag!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I worked on a Vauxhall Chevette.

Will that do?
                  Has it got a V8 engine?
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by planetit
                    Assuming you don’t actually want to trigger the airbag (and nowadays that’s a little more complex than the others are suggesting) it may be software configurable. If so, I’m afraid it is likely to be a manufacturer specific parameter, so you need access to a GM standard diagnostic tester (or a generic one with the GM protocol added). If google is no help then it looks like your friendly neighbourhood Vauxhall dealer is the best bet.

Sorry can't be more helpfull, only GM product I ever worked on was a truck. And it didn't have an airbag!
                    Would you trust your kids life to a bit of software?

Nope, if it turns off at all it should be a hard switch.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X