• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors to get sick pay, holiday pay etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    And do you pay yourself sick pay, holiday pay, redundancy? You may soon be forced to.
    Er... I pay myself (my company pays me) a salary every month, whether I've been sick, on vacation, on site, or sitting in the pub while pretending to be on site.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      In your dreams!

Why do you imagine that being "deemed" an employee will entitle you to these rights? I snort with derision at the suggestion!
      You may be right, but it is another avenue of attack for the PCG.
      If the Government deems me to be a temporary employee (hence IR35 applies) then there must be a reasonable argument that law applied to temporary employees should be applied.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        You may be right, but it is another avenue of attack for the PCG.
        If the Government deems me to be a temporary employee (hence IR35 applies) then there must be a reasonable argument that law applied to temporary employees should be applied.
        This could put the willies up the clients and especially their HR departments so that they become more open to contracts which clearly leave the contractor outside IR35. With IR35 I've always thought that the lack of a financial hit on the end client meant that us little guys could rarely force a change because there was no financial fallout for the end client. If we get caught for IR35 then we pay the tax due. However if caught, then what is there to stop the contractor fighting for these employment related benefits.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          This could put the willies up the clients and especially their HR departments so that they become more open to contracts which clearly leave the contractor outside IR35. With IR35 I've always thought that the lack of a financial hit on the end client meant that us little guys could rarely force a change because there was no financial fallout for the end client. If we get caught for IR35 then we pay the tax due. However if caught, then what is there to stop the contractor fighting for these employment related benefits.
          The original IR35 was at a cost to the client not us. Rightly in my opinion. The larger corporates that use contractors freaked and used their political leverage to whisper in Golden Clowns ear that it was the contractor who was cheating him not them. SO IR35 was changed.
          I said at the time that this was carte blanch for any business to avoid employment law with impunity. I seem to have been wrong on that as the likes of Asda and McDs are not yet insisting on all their staff being contractors, but they will one day.

There has been no incentive for UK clients to work in a proper B2B manner and it has always been my opinion that many of our clients actually want "temployees" but are unwilling to pay for them.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What is the current situation with regard to contractors and sick/holiday pay.

Am going back into contracting after 8 years in permie and am out of touch.
            Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post
              What is the current situation with regard to contractors and sick/holiday pay.

No change, you are not an emloyee of the client so client has no obligation towards you

Comment

Did I ask for this? I don’t think I did, did I?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                  No change, you are not an emloyee of the client so client has no obligation towards you
                  Unless HMRC says you are an employee at which point you become entitled to 28 days holiday, pension, redundancy, sick pay, car, training... no?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Unless HMRC says you are an employee at which point you become entitled to 28 days holiday, pension, redundancy, sick pay, car, training... no?
                    No, HMRC gets to decide your tax obligations/status but in doing so does not actually make you an employee with all the rights that status entails (yes it's rather fecked up, one of the many things about ir35 contractors object to)

Comment

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post
                      I would strongly advise against that, unless you already have an offer of a long-term contract on the table for a skill which is in very strong demand.

Comment

Working...
                      X