• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home only for developers ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    True, up to a point. Some sensitive information, for example, will not be going offshore, regardless of how cheap it is...
    Ah well we can't all work for MI5...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Ah well we can't all work for MI5...
      Nor, I suspect, would we want to. It's crap money apparently...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

If you can do your work from home, unless you're outstanding, so can someone in India or some other country.
        While there is a medium-term time window in which such work still exists, as communication improves (both with people and with technology) such work will dry up.

IMHO, of course.

You've obviously not dealt with many offshore Indian dev teams have you?

Have you ever tried to order something complicated from the takeaway that isn't on the menu exactly or want to change something in some way?

You get my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          You've obviously not dealt with many offshore Indian dev teams have you?

Have you ever tried to order something complicated from the takeaway that isn't on the menu exactly or want to change something in some way?

You get my drift.
          I deal with an Indian offshore team every day. They have improved immensely since first started using them a couple of years ago - mainly because I notice many of their staff have now returned from secondment abroad - and hence have learned Western ways. That's why I said " as communication improves" in my initial post.
          Ignore this improvement at your peril.
          May I also say that living in Swindon you will have as narrow a viewpoint in your own way as atW has in Brum.

HTH

Actually I find them flexible enough to do most of the (changeable at short notice) routine coding tasks.
          Last edited by sasguru; 10 November 2008, 12:03.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

May I also say that living in Swindon you will have as narrow a viewpoint in your own way as atW has in Brum.

HTH
            I'd like to point out that on occasion I have travelled to Wootton Bassett so am not so insular and yokel as you make out.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I'd like to point out that on occasion I have travelled to Wootton Bassett so am not so insular and yokel as you make out.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                Nor, I suspect, would we want to. It's crap money apparently...
                And it turns its employees into mental fruit and nut cases.

He's not the Messiah; he's a very naughty boy!

Comment

Working...
                X