• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone seen a recession yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    No. They keep going on about 1997(?) too but can't say I had any prob getting work then. I do recall nightly news about places closing though.
    92 maybe ? 97 was UBER BOOMED for contract rates in my game, surfing the wave and all that.

I agree things don't seem too bad at the moment but I know a few people in my game currently benched and not getting a sniff, it was a different story only a month or so back. One of them is really struggling, caught out with two mortgages and no income and appears to have pi**ed the boom years money up against the wall.

Comment

Went to a local Michelin restaurant a couple of weeks ago and we were the only ones in there. Apparently it's been very quiet for a couple of months.

Two other nearby restaurants that are normally fully booked on Saturday night we've been able to get tables for on the same day and they have only been half full.

People are definitely staying in more (apart from me).
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

So far 2009 has the potential to be my busiest year ever... possibly going to have to hire extra staff for plan B
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

ClientCo (a large manufacturing organisation) have just this week announced a round of redundancies.

The builder who constructed our recent loft conversion said he doesn't have any more work lined up, and another company who did a loft nearby have just had to let some of their staff go. I presume this is due to difficulty in getting mortgage extensions to fund the work.
          Last edited by voodooflux; 17 October 2008, 09:40.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Went to a local Michelin restaurant a couple of weeks ago and we were the only ones in there. Apparently it's been very quiet for a couple of months.

Two other nearby restaurants that are normally fully booked on Saturday night we've been able to get tables for on the same day and they have only been half full.

People are definitely staying in more (apart from me).
            I thought (although I was a little hazy) I heard on a report on Radio 4 this morning saying that, in London anyway, more people were eating out than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              ClientCo (a large manufacturing organisation) have just this week announced a round of redundancies.
              Small/Medium manufacturing organisation here and they got rid of 80 recently and I heard the permies talking about redundancy deals yesterday so I suspect there is more looming.

Comment

I thought (although I was a little hazy) I heard on a report on Radio 4 this morning saying that, in London anyway, more people were eating out than ever.
                McDonalds doesn't count
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  McDonalds doesn't count
                  KFC?

Comment

you trust the news to speak the truth?
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                      you trust the news to speak the truth?
                      But it was Radio 4 - the last bastion of truth and...ok, point taken.

Comment

Working...
                      X