• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jacqui Smith - biggest threat to liberty in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    NAFAIK!
    They already have access to all this, only difference is that they have to request it at present and the companies involved, i.e. Orange, BT etc charge them for it. The proposals are to ensure all these companies have to supply the place in the west of the country the data to store in their nice shiny new big database that they can then trawl through at their leisure.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

"and appropriate safeguards would be put in place. "

That'd be a ruling that all USB sticks must have the legend "DO NOT LOSE ME" printed on them?

Comment

This will require one big mother of a data centre just to store all the bloody spam that gets sent around and the stupid cold calling pension sales calls. At best it’ll be of no use whatsoever and at worst it’s a serious intrusion into privacy.

Government solution for seeking needles in haystacks; make a bigger haystack.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          +1
          WHS
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
            They already have access to all this, only difference is that they have to request it at present and the companies involved, i.e. Orange, BT etc charge them for it. The proposals are to ensure all these companies have to supply the place in the west of the country the data to store in their nice shiny new big database that they can then trawl through at their leisure.
            I think this is morally repugnant.

Comment

Don't know who said it the other day, but I whole-heartedly agree - 1984 is a warning, not a blueprint.

I for one will be sending myself lots of spam just to increase the amount of email they have to monitor.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Don't know who said it the other day, but I whole-heartedly agree - 1984 is a warning, not a blueprint.

I for one will be sending myself lots of spam just to increase the amount of email they have to monitor.
                What else is new?

Comment

for one will be sending myself lots of spam just to increase the amount of email they have to monitor.
                  Obviously they will be using automatic profiling algorithms to "flag up" any messages which need a human operator to re-read and analyse.

So let's say certain key words like "Bomb", "Allah", "Infidel" are used to narrow the search.

That's still going to result in billions of messages which need to be sifted by humans, since the words in and of themselves are harmless, and used in everyday parlance. You'd need millions of operators to read the billions of messages every day to have any chance of reacting to a single message in a suitable time scale.

Then all that will happen is the supposed terrorists will code their messages to avoid certain keywords.

Eg..

Instead of "Greetings Brother, We plan to blow up the Kings Cross Station at midday on the 5th of November 2005"

they will use something like

"Yo my main man. Me and the boyz are gonna meet up at the angry monarch to watch the GF's let a few off."

Or something like that...

Which really makes the cost and effort of the database pointless.

Still, imagine all those juicy secrets the Government can get their hands on. Knowledge is power and they will be the Data Mammon of the Binary Age.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    So let's say certain key words like "Bomb", "Allah", "Infidel" are used to narrow the search.
                    racist

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Look we're all being silly here. Our government want this information to protect us from the nasty terrorists - That's all. It's not like they would use these kind of powers for something else once they are passed. Although that old bloke in the Labour party conference was charged under terrorism legislation......and like the whole of Iceland. At least it's better than being shot in the head 7 times.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X