• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A reasonable starting rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the project/technology/client, if its doing noddy new media websites with a few lines of server side code for a small 10 employee company then its a good rate. If it's a enterprise level web application in .NET using SQL server, web services with proper domain layer in C# for a Bank then its half of what you could get.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Cos MS is proper enterprise level technology stack and PHP / LAMP is for 1990's "Welcome to My Homepage" stuff.

HTH
      Some of us working on enterprise level apps using the LAMP stack are doing very well thanks

Comment

A good rate is what you are happy doing it for. Contracting is a young man's game, so it tends to contain a lot of 'willy-measuring'. My rate's bigger than yours, etc etc. I'm sure a lot of it is lies, fidding, exaggeration etc.

Another thing to remember is there will always be someone getting more than you. If you live your life worrying about that, then you're in for a bumpy one.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

It's not what I would call a decent rate for central London, but I've had multiple agents try to talk to me recently about London PM roles at £350 a day which a few months ago would have been £500+. Admittedly I wouldn't take them at £500

There's some belt tightening going on out there, if the role is interesting and the rate will keep you in the style to which you are accustomed it's worth considering in todays climate unless you can afford to wait for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
            A good rate is what you are happy doing it for. Contracting is a young man's game, so it tends to contain a lot of 'willy-measuring'. My rate's bigger than yours, etc etc. I'm sure a lot of it is lies, fidding, exaggeration etc.
            You forgot...
            My BTL portfolio is bigger than yours
            My V8 is bigger than yours
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              You forgot...
              My BTL portfolio is bigger than yours
              My V8 is bigger than yours
              Or the Malvolio rant: My % of Take Home is bigger than yours

Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
              X