• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A reasonable starting rate"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    You forgot...
    My BTL portfolio is bigger than yours
    My V8 is bigger than yours
    Or the Malvolio rant: My % of Take Home is bigger than yours

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    A good rate is what you are happy doing it for. Contracting is a young man's game, so it tends to contain a lot of 'willy-measuring'. My rate's bigger than yours, etc etc. I'm sure a lot of it is lies, fidding, exaggeration etc.
    You forgot...
    My BTL portfolio is bigger than yours
    My V8 is bigger than yours

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    It's not what I would call a decent rate for central London, but I've had multiple agents try to talk to me recently about London PM roles at £350 a day which a few months ago would have been £500+. Admittedly I wouldn't take them at £500

There's some belt tightening going on out there, if the role is interesting and the rate will keep you in the style to which you are accustomed it's worth considering in todays climate unless you can afford to wait for quite a while.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    A good rate is what you are happy doing it for. Contracting is a young man's game, so it tends to contain a lot of 'willy-measuring'. My rate's bigger than yours, etc etc. I'm sure a lot of it is lies, fidding, exaggeration etc.

Another thing to remember is there will always be someone getting more than you. If you live your life worrying about that, then you're in for a bumpy one.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Cos MS is proper enterprise level technology stack and PHP / LAMP is for 1990's "Welcome to My Homepage" stuff.

HTH
    Some of us working on enterprise level apps using the LAMP stack are doing very well thanks

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Depends on the project/technology/client, if its doing noddy new media websites with a few lines of server side code for a small 10 employee company then its a good rate. If it's a enterprise level web application in .NET using SQL server, web services with proper domain layer in C# for a Bank then its half of what you could get.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    agreed (i'm a .net person)

i just didn't want to piss all over the LAMP campfire by saying it's rubbish :-)

as someone said prior web developer covers a very broad spectrum!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    what language stack do you use?

rates for PHP / LAMP etc seem to be a lot less than MS technology
    Cos MS is proper enterprise level technology stack and PHP / LAMP is for 1990's "Welcome to My Homepage" stuff.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    what language stack do you use?

rates for PHP / LAMP etc seem to be a lot less than MS technology

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by scotty46 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm new to this contracting business and am talking to a potential client about a 4 month contract. They're only offering 250/day while working in central london, which although seems almost reasonable to me looks very low compared all the stuff I see on this board and others like it. I'm very good at what I do (web developer), so don't want to underprice myself.

Any thoughts? I was gonna go back and ask for something in the region of 350-400/day, which seems more in line with the general trends.

Any advice appreciated!!

Aren't we all?

OK, who's sock puppet is this then eh? come on, own up.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by scotty46 View Post
    I'm very good at what I do (web developer), so don't want to underprice myself.
    Almost worth a separate thread, this part. Is there better money top be had for being very good? How do you get it? How do you establish that you are really good, and therefore worth it?

Not through the agent, for sure: most of them don't care if you are good, or don't even know what it means.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    And Web Developer is a pretty generic term, if most fo your CV is full of 'Mew Media' contracts.. I would take the money and thank yourself lucky.
    If on the other hand you previous contracts have involved massive amounts of business layer, analysis and problem solving with new technology in major blue chips.... maybe 250 is far to low.
    And your claim to be good at what you do is totally pointless. You are a very small fish in a big pond.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Two sensible replies out of two? I'm on the wrong website...

I am not a web developer myself, and maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but web development doesn't seem to pay as well as a few years ago. 250/day doesn't sound bad.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    If you are talking to the client directly then you are in a much better position. Will you have to stay over for the gig? Try and bolt on travel and accommodation expenses. If you have to stay over the rate does seem a bit low.

If you are local and that's all it's paying, then yes, why not. 250 a day is still over a grand a week. Much needed experience on the CV, London client, may lead to bigger better things. Go for it.
    Last edited by Jubber; 15 October 2008, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    what is always said on this forum if your happy with the rate then go for it....if your not then demand higher but what if the agent say no ? will you walk away or accept the original price ?

Personally i work out my personal rate...bolt on top travel expenses and this is the rate i say...if they aren't happy then i say no and walk away

Good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X