• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

why shaking hands is probably not a good idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    So true - especially on the basis of regularly hearing a flush in the cubicle followed by the occupant heading straight out of the toilet door...
    Saw the chef do that in one place, last time I ate there.

Comment

The further north they went, the more often they found commuters with faecal bacteria on their hands
      Grim.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can someone explain why all the bathroom doors open inwards? I would rather just be able to push the door open with my foor on the way out after cleaning my hands.. that grab a dirty handle. I usually use a tissue to grab the handle.

Comment

This news item was well covered in the Times Of India.

Comment

I'm not surprised by this article, and I would go so far as to say, nearly everybody doesn't wash their hands properly when leaving the toilet.

Why ?

Because I attended an infection control meeting at the PCT a few weeks ago, and each of us had our hands completely sprayed with a UV-reactive marker.

We were then told to wash our hands normally in a basin provided.

Some of us washed quickly in less than 10 seconds, under a hot running tap.

Some of us took 20 seconds under the hot running tap.

Some of us ran a basin of hot water, and did the full plunge routine, along with the NHS recommended hand-washing technique.

I used the latter.

When the UV revealed the areas that had I had missed, I was horrified.

Palms and fingers all ok.

But the U-shaped depression (cuticle ?) where the fingernail meets the skin...uh oh...glowing white under the UV on nearly all fingers.

Which basically means, that to properly wash, you've got to spend at least 1-2 minutes, with decent soap, a full bowl of water, and a nail brush.

Sure, many people wash their hands after using the loo, but how many use the above technique ?

If they don't, they're carrying germs.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              I'm not surprised by this article, and I would go so far as to say, nearly everybody doesn't wash their hands properly when leaving the toilet.
              Which basically means, that to properly wash, you've got to spend at least 1-2 minutes, with decent soap, a full bowl of water, and a nail brush.

Sure, many people wash their hands after using the loo, but how many use the above technique ?

If they don't, they're carrying germs.
              Good point. Against: isn't it just about as hard to become contaminated by someone's germs as it is for them to wash them off? I.e. you may still have germs under your fingernails, but when you touch the door handle on the way out, you won't deposit as many germs there as someone who washed less.

So I'd still rather have people wash their hands, than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Anti bacterial gel before you touch anything in Egypt. Dirty sods...
                I always use it when not at home - the doorhandles thing is too nasty to risk!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Saw the chef do that in one place, last time I ate there.
                  You wouldn't want to eat in any indian restaurant then

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    You wouldn't want to eat in any indian restaurant then
                    This was an Irish Pub.

Comment

Had Norovirus this year - very grim when you, your wife and your daughter are all vomiting together - all caused by infection from outbreak on holiday.

Solution - avoid holidaying with masses of Brits and don't use public transport. Working from home would help too...

Comment

Working...
                      X