• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Any of the real Project Managers that lurk on CUK should be able to help you.
    Negotiation with suppliers is rarely just on price. The trick is to look at all the T's and C's and figure out where the manoeuvrability is. Which of these (for example) would you like to get if you couldn't get a rate increase;

- Working from home more frequently
    - Occasional paid flights home or better accomodation (if expat)
    - Getting paid more quickly (less applicable if via an agency, I agree)
    - Performance bonuses for faster delivery

You get the idea. Most negotiations break down because they concentrate too much on price.

My 2p's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
      Negotiation with suppliers is rarely just on price. The trick is to look at all the T's and C's and figure out where the manoeuvrability is. Which of these (for example) would you like to get if you couldn't get a rate increase;

- Working from home more frequently
      - Occasional paid flights home or better accomodation (if expat)
      - Getting paid more quickly (less applicable if via an agency, I agree)
      - Performance bonuses for faster delivery

You get the idea. Most negotiations break down because they concentrate too much on price.

My 2p's worth.
      I do get the idea. Why is why it would be really good if I could find a way of having someone who can really negotiate for me.

The problem is that agent, who are ideally placed to do this, well, it really isn't in their interest. How can we arrange things so that the people who are in a positiion to aid us this way can make money?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I do get the idea. Why is why it would be really good if I could find a way of having someone who can really negotiate for me.

The problem is that agent, who are ideally placed to do this, well, it really isn't in their interest. How can we arrange things so that the people who are in a positiion to aid us this way can make money?
        1) stating the bleeding obvious, in the current climate your room for manoeuvre is limited, it's a buyers market
        2) professional negotiators will take a % of whatever they can get above your minimum target rate, which is likely (IMHO) to be more than an agent's margin
        3) rule 1 of negotiation : you need to be willing and able to walk away from the deal (which isn't always on option - see (1) above.)

Comment

1. Decide what you want, stick to it and walk away if you don't get it.

Exception: If your desperate, accept whatever they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            well, maybe I was oversarcastic in saying "get away with". But "company policy" just means "somebody in the company decided to do it this way". And when EDS says "this is our policy", it somehow feels more immutable than when I say it on behalf of my company. When I say "this is our company policy", half the time the client says "oh come off it, that just means it's what you decided and you could just as easily un-decide it": but the same client buckles in the face of other suppliers' "policy".
            When the client starts to say 'oh come off it' just cut him off by pushing the palm of your hand really close to his face and saying 'Speak the the Hand!'

Works every time.

just my 2c worth...

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
              2) professional negotiators will take a % of whatever they can get above your minimum target rate, which is likely (IMHO) to be more than an agent's margin
              Surely some basic maths will also prove that it wouldn't be in their interests to push hard for a much bigger increase anyway? The extra effort and work for an increase, unless significantly large, don't justify the extra money they would make. It's the way percentage cuts work and why an estate agent won't always work in the seller's interests.

Comment

Working...
              X