• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for a holiday in Iceland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT it seems, but Iceland is pretty fecking amazing. Not so sure it'd be fun in the perpetual darkness of winter but def in summer it's well worth avisit.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      They also have the benefit of being sat on top of one of the best sources of renewable energy in the world (they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006) and 'export' their free electricity by undertaking aluminium smelting and the likes for the rest of the world.
      There's a limit on how much energy you can "export" by importing the process that uses it. You still have to ship the goods afterwards and not many tasks are that "energy" intensive to make up the difference.

I don't really think that Iceland's energy supplies are that much of a help in the great scheme of things

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        There's a limit on how much energy you can "export" by importing the process that uses it. You still have to ship the goods afterwards and not many tasks are that "energy" intensive to make up the difference.

I don't really think that Iceland's energy supplies are that much of a help in the great scheme of things

tim
        I disagree. If you've got energy you can do anything and things can never get totally screwed. According to wiki, renewables only contribute 70% of their current energy needs but they hope to be self-sufficient in energy by 2050. They will be better off than us long before then if we don't similarly get out energy strategy sorted. We should invade now, or buy the whole place for thruppence. Serves them right for thinking money is as as real as their real wealth.

Comment

they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006

Doh!

Comment

Its so bad that Tescos are about to buy them out
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
              they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006

Doh!
              http://www.iea.org/Textbase/work/200...es/ICELAND.PDF

Slide 5, the important bit is

• Hydro and geothermal energy provide 72% of the primary energy supply
              • 99.9% of electricity is produced from hydro power and geothermal energy
              Try and understand that energy and electricity are not one and the same thing. Clown.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                http://www.iea.org/Textbase/work/200...es/ICELAND.PDF

Slide 5, the important bit is

Try and understand that energy and electricity are not one and the same thing. Clown.
                You seem to have missed the reason for my "Doh!". Too late now and a mystery forever.

Comment

I've met a few Icelanders over the years, and I can safely say that they are all very nice people until they have a drink.

Without fail they turn into psychopathic lunatics who will attempt things like
                  • Charge at a car that is driving at them.
                  • Hop over the live rail in tube stations.
                  • Pick up a policeman and carry him across the road.
                  I'd love to visit the country but I doubt I'll live to tell the tale.

Comment

I was thinking that. Currency is in our favour and think of the goods & services they'll provide to get some cash back.

+ they are nice bunch of people. Magnus Magnusson and Bjork probably are anyway. And when was the last time you heard someons say "Bloody Icelanders! About time they got taken down a peg or two".

But don't tell them you're British, or they'll probably deck/laugh at you.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                      I've met a few Icelanders over the years, and I can safely say that they are all very nice people until they have a drink.

Without fail they turn into psychopathic lunatics who will attempt things like
                      • Charge at a car that is driving at them.
                      • Hop over the live rail in tube stations.
                      • Pick up a policeman and carry him across the road.
                      I'd love to visit the country but I doubt I'll live to tell the tale.
                      Isn't it about time you changed your signature, PRC??
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X