• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time for a holiday in Iceland?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I disagree. If you've got energy you can do anything and things can never get totally screwed.
    I'd like to see them export a bucket of steam.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-millions.html

The National Council for Voluntary Organisations estimates that British charities have over £120 million at risk. One charity, Cats Protection had £11.2 million of deposits in one of Kaupthing's British units.
    Cats!!! WTF

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I've met a few Icelanders over the years, and I can safely say that they are all very nice people until they have a drink.

Without fail they turn into psychopathic lunatics who will attempt things like
    • Charge at a car that is driving at them.
    • Hop over the live rail in tube stations.
    • Pick up a policeman and carry him across the road.
    I'd love to visit the country but I doubt I'll live to tell the tale.
    Do they have tube stations in Iceland? Or do they come specially to London to do it?

I suppose the picking up policemen lark is kinder than trying to kick the shiite out of them that any self respecting Brit binge drinker would attempt.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I've met a few Icelanders over the years, and I can safely say that they are all very nice people until they have a drink.

Your all right they only drink on weekends.

If you drink in the week then you are an alcoholic.

Oh and it doesn't matter what day of the week it is, if a traffic warder tickets a car the traffic warden gets beaten up. (And they can't park.)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Isn't it about time you changed your signature, PRC??

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I was thinking that. Currency is in our favour and think of the goods & services they'll provide to get some cash back.

+ they are nice bunch of people. Magnus Magnusson and Bjork probably are anyway. And when was the last time you heard someons say "Bloody Icelanders! About time they got taken down a peg or two".

But don't tell them you're British, or they'll probably deck/laugh at you.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    http://www.iea.org/Textbase/work/200...es/ICELAND.PDF

Slide 5, the important bit is

Try and understand that energy and electricity are not one and the same thing. Clown.
    You seem to have missed the reason for my "Doh!". Too late now and a mystery forever.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006

Doh!
    http://www.iea.org/Textbase/work/200...es/ICELAND.PDF

Slide 5, the important bit is

• Hydro and geothermal energy provide 72% of the primary energy supply
    • 99.9% of electricity is produced from hydro power and geothermal energy
    Try and understand that energy and electricity are not one and the same thing. Clown.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Its so bad that Tescos are about to buy them out

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006

Doh!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    There's a limit on how much energy you can "export" by importing the process that uses it. You still have to ship the goods afterwards and not many tasks are that "energy" intensive to make up the difference.

I don't really think that Iceland's energy supplies are that much of a help in the great scheme of things

tim
    I disagree. If you've got energy you can do anything and things can never get totally screwed. According to wiki, renewables only contribute 70% of their current energy needs but they hope to be self-sufficient in energy by 2050. They will be better off than us long before then if we don't similarly get out energy strategy sorted. We should invade now, or buy the whole place for thruppence. Serves them right for thinking money is as as real as their real wealth.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    They also have the benefit of being sat on top of one of the best sources of renewable energy in the world (they produced 0.1% of their electricity from fossil fuels in 2006) and 'export' their free electricity by undertaking aluminium smelting and the likes for the rest of the world.
    There's a limit on how much energy you can "export" by importing the process that uses it. You still have to ship the goods afterwards and not many tasks are that "energy" intensive to make up the difference.

I don't really think that Iceland's energy supplies are that much of a help in the great scheme of things

tim

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    OT it seems, but Iceland is pretty fecking amazing. Not so sure it'd be fun in the perpetual darkness of winter but def in summer it's well worth avisit.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What are the Russians up to with their lending to Iceland...
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2099558/posts

Bottom half of the page

Leave a comment:

Working...
X