• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for tin hats in the age of austerity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Still had more cash in bank
    Only this time banks are dropping like flies!

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      I've been offered a 4 year post in Dubai. £100000 pa + free accommodation & food. car, fuel and driver. 4 return flights a year.

Oh! did I mention Tax free

Wifey doesn't want me to go

May have to once the starving homeless hoards start stalking the streets over here
      Impressive
      The gulf option is getting seriously tempting (do I mean temp-pting) no.

Are there any decent agencies that handle work out there?

Second question: Do you have to stay in Dubai or wherever for a whole year to qualify for tax-free status. Or can you do a spell in France as well during the year (by which I mean rowing a boat from France over to Jersey/guernsey and sneaking back into blighty for a pack of chips and a pint.)

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        Impressive
        The gulf option is getting seriously tempting (do I mean temp-pting) no.

Are there any decent agencies that handle work out there?

Second question: Do you have to stay in Dubai or wherever for a whole year to qualify for tax-free status. Or can you do a spell in France as well during the year (by which I mean rowing a boat from France over to Jersey/guernsey and sneaking back into blighty for a pack of chips and a pint.)
        My contact in the gulf is direct with a marine civil's company HR department.
        It isn't an IT post. It's Marine civils & Project supervisor on harbour & jetty construction.

As for the Tax thing. I haven't a clue, but thanks for the hint
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

My contact in the gulf is direct with a marine civil's company HR department.
          It isn't an IT post. It's Marine civils & Project supervisor on harbour & jetty construction.

As for the Tax thing. I haven't a clue, but thanks for the hint
          I read somewhere that you need to be in Dubai for their full tax year to get paid tax free. But 100K tax free sure is tempting...
          Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

If you return to Britain in the same tax year, you have to declare it and then it is taxed.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think much of this credit-crunch-doom is overblown by conspiracy theorists-terrorists-ne'erdowells- everything is going to be just fine fine fine.

Altough you may recall I quoted Greenspan back in February as saying the credit crises would pose a 'disturbing new economic reality'.... spoilsport - eh?

On the lighter side - it wasnt very long ago that GW Bush said of his excellency Mr Blair that ' you can take what that guy says and put it in the bank'.

Quite Mr Bush - quite.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                Altough you may recall I quoted Greenspan back in February as saying the credit crises would pose a 'disturbing new economic reality'.... spoilsport - eh?
                As one of the chief architects of the whole thing you'd think Greenspan would have gone into hiding by now.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  If you return to Britain in the same tax year, you have to declare it and then it is taxed.
                  Even for a two week holiday?
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Even for a two week holiday?
                    I think you get 56 days a year in the UK for holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                      I think you get 56 days a year in the UK for holidays.
                      I would have thought you declare that you have left to IR and then the 90ish day a year rule applies, where you can be in the country for up to something like 182 days a year but no more than an average of 90-something in the last 4 years. Phone Hector.

Comment

Working...
                      X