• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The State Must Die

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    How would you change it? Are you talking about a real change, or do you just think that you personally could save money if you used private health care and paid nothing to the NHS?

You are under a popular misconception here, and I am not sure whether it is ignorance or left-wing propaganda.

Even if people use private health care they are still contributing through their taxes!! They are in effect contributing twice.

If more people contributed funds to private health care the NHS would actually improve because in effect it would have extra funds to cover fewer patients. That is precisely why I am an advocate of private health funding and why I was totally against the removal of tax relief on contributions by New Lie after 1997. This actually had the effect of removing some of the much needed funding as people then decided to stop contributions. Yet another example of left-wing doctrine failing the taxpayer!!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
      why not?.....they're not much use any more......
      I think they would kick up a bit of a stink if the tories came in and said, right 400000 of you are sacked...
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        You are under a popular misconception here, and I am not sure whether it is ignorance or left-wing propaganda.

Even if people use private health care they are still contributing through their taxes!! They are in effect contributing twice.

If more people contributed funds to private health care the NHS would actually improve because in effect it would have extra funds to cover fewer patients. That is precisely why I am an advocate of private health funding and why I was totally against the removal of tax relief on contributions by New Lie after 1997. This actually had the effect of removing some of the much needed funding as people then decided to stop contributions. Yet another example of left-wing doctrine failing the taxpayer!!
        You did read what I said? Well, no, you didn't really. I did not write of paying for private health care while also still paying for the NHS through taxes (which is what you seem to think I did); I wrote of the idea of paying for private health care and not paying for the NHS, i.e. reducing the part of taxes that funds the NHS.

And I was not making any left-wing argument, I was rather asking whether that would be a significant change to the offering of the State, or just a (possibly quite fair) way if saving money.

Trouble is, you know the arguments that you are against even before I make them, even if I don't make them.

Comment

Same argument works for Public Schools and yet the government seems determined to marginalise then abolish those. Barmy!

Comment

You did read what I said? Well, no, you didn't really. I did not write of paying for private health care while also still paying for the NHS through taxes (which is what you seem to think I did); I wrote of the idea of paying for private health care and not paying for the NHS, i.e. reducing the part of taxes that funds the NHS.

And I was not making any left-wing argument, I was rather asking whether that would be a significant change to the offering of the State, or just a (possibly quite fair) way if saving money.

Trouble is, you know the arguments that you are against even before I make them, even if I don't make them.

I have reread your post. Apologies for misinterpreting your point Expat.

Of course, paying for private and not paying for the NHS is not on, because there is no overall benefit and the NHS will lose funds. The fact is though that due to HMG left-wing doctrine the NHS is actually being denied additional funds when if people want to contribute also privately it would be positive for NHS revenues.
            I have a feeling that the Tories may address this stupidity and reintroduce tax relief for private health at some stage after 2010.

Comment

I have reread your post. Apologies for misinterpreting your point Expat.
              Roger

Of course, paying for private and not paying for the NHS is not on, because there is no overall benefit and the NHS will lose funds. The fact is though that due to HMG left-wing doctrine the NHS is actually being denied additional funds when if people want to contribute also privately it would be positive for NHS revenues.
              I have a feeling that the Tories may address this stupidity and reintroduce tax relief for private health at some stage after 2010.
              Maybe so.

Good thing though this might be, isn't it a long way short of the sweeping change in "the services on offer from the State" mentioned by the OP? I am still trying to work out what that might be.

Comment

.......Good thing though this might be, isn't it a long way short of the sweeping change in "the services on offer from the State" mentioned by the OP? I am still trying to work out what that might be.
                Yeh, good luck with that. Let me know when you work it out.
                Bored.

Comment

Roger

Maybe so.

Good thing though this might be, isn't it a long way short of the sweeping change in "the services on offer from the State" mentioned by the OP? I am still trying to work out what that might be.

There are so many jobs in the public sector that are very costly but offer no real conceivable benefit to the general public, but do benefit the job holder disproportionately, and this has to be wrong.
                  The average wage in the public sector is now above the private sector, plus these people can retire much earlier and on fat unearned unsustainable pensions, and this also is so wrong, bearing in mind that the public sector would cease to exist without the taxes from the private sector.
                  The public sector is now so bloated that it comprises 2 out of every five jobs in the country. If any job cannot be justified under a cost/benefit and commonsense analysis it must go !!!

Comment

If any job cannot be justified under a cost/benefit and commonsense analysis it must go !!!

Hear hear - except for my cushy job funded by your taxes - natch !

Naturally I detest freeloaders

But if I were a freeloader - my - how much of a greedy wee piggie Id be !

Comment

Working...
                    X