• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    on the bedside table are:

earthly powers by anthony burgess

millennium: the end of the world and the forging of christendom by tom holland

i'm on the penultimate chapter of earthly powers. it is the kind of book i should love but tbh i have struggled at times with the the main characters problems reconciling his homosexuality with the doctines of the roman catholic church. far too many cases of me rolling my eyes with total indifference to the moral maze he finds himself in.

i saw the holland book in waterstone's at the weekend and grabbed it straight away - i loved his previous two books on the roman and persian empires and am hoping that this one will be equally good.

actually, i also have the long way down on the bedside table but it has been there since last christmas. i've got no further than end of the rain in italy and that was months and months ago.
    Agree - saw the Holland book, and thought his last two were fantastic reads. But I'll wait for softback, the Jock in me rebels at paying £25 for a book just because it's got harder paper on the outside ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Spot went to the park.

I should finish it this weekend, I can't wait to find out where Spot went.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        How high-brow you all are. I'm reading (again) Insomnia by Stephen King.
        Is that he one with the weird "scientist" folk and the rusty scalpels? If so, it was trash of the trashiest kind. King has written some absolute w@nk in his time, usually followed by something unbelievably excellent like Dolores Claiborne or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Comment

A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

The story of several generations of some Colombian family living in the village founded by their forefather and all the weird things that happen to them and their community over the years. It's ok, but not a book with a traditional storyline as such. Seems quite repetitive really, I've still got 100 pages to go and I know the sort of things that are going to happen before I get to the end; hopefully I'll be proved wrong. Definitely one for the Guardian readers amongst us!

Comment

A Course of Pure Mathematics by GH Hardy- Evening reading.
            Classic calculus/analysis text - very hard going but very rewarding.

Just ordered Nemesis (history of the Pacific Theatre, 2nd World War) by Max Hastings from Amazon.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
              Is that he one with the weird "scientist" folk and the rusty scalpels? If so, it was trash of the trashiest kind. King has written some absolute w@nk in his time, usually followed by something unbelievably excellent like Dolores Claiborne or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.
              I enjoyed "The Dark Tower" series...

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                Spot went to the park.

I should finish it this weekend, I can't wait to find out where Spot went.
                Honestly, in any book recommendation post I've ever read, here or on any other board, some 'wit' comes back with this answer more or less.

Somehow they think it's original and even funny, rather than just making you appear to be a moron. Go figure

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Honestly, in any book recommendation post I've ever read, here or on any other board, some 'wit' comes back with this answer more or less.

Somehow they think it's original and even funny, rather than just making you appear to be a moron. Go figure
                  And he bites,

again

Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                    And he bites,

again

Ahh, bit of reverse thingie going on? Actually not biting, could care less - just an honest observation. Go site google CUK and do a search on book recommendation and prove me wrong.

It's almost a universal law that in any book recommendation thread, on any site someone comes back with that answer.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      actually, i also have the long way down on the bedside table but it has been there since last christmas. i've got no further than end of the rain in italy and that was months and months ago.
                      There's a few good bit's whilst they're in North Africa but to be honest it doesn't compare to Long Way Round.
                      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Working...
                      X