• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueSharp
    replied
    A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. Decent read can see it being turned into a movie in the Grand Budapest Hotel genre.

Sid Meier's MEMOIR! decent and entertaining read for those interested in computer games.

Final instalment of the Last Kingdom series, War Lord by Bernard Cornwell. An excellent conclusion to an excellent series.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 23 January 2021, 20:07.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Salvation Lost

Peter F. Hamilton
    nice thick book <for a nice thick poster*>

I do like escapist stuff.
    sci-fi all the way for me

*pre-emptive twat baffler

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    "Lying in State" by Tim Slessor, being a collection of the finest lies emitted by the Establishment, starting with The Dodgy Dossier and the Hutton Report.

<hiatus>

And wending its weary way through the Chinook disaster, Diego Garcia, and other fine examples of Establishment lies.

Finally finished.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 February 2021, 23:07.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Still finishing "Willing Slaves": 40 pages to go.

Now reading "Never Had it So Good" by Dominic Sandbrook, purchased on Starwars Day 2013, being "A history of Britain from Suez to The Beatles".

Another 800 page tome.

The one good thing about CV is that I can't buy any more tomes.

<hiatus>

Well it must be said that it's rather a good read all in all.
    <hiatus>

Now we'ver progressed to the Profumo affair, Christine Keeler, and Mandy Rice-Davies.

And on to MacMillan's resignation and his prostate op.

<hiatus>

The Beatles.

And with that, it's done with. 738 pages. Not counting the 150 pages of notes, bilbliography, and index.

Which I didn't read.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 January 2021, 19:35.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Tom Allen - no shame. Hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    A Song of Ice and Fire series. I’ve been saving it for the January lockdown.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Just started re-reading The Night Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko.

I read the original trilogy years ago and the fourth one that came along. I then picked up the fifth and sixth books but never read them (my Mum did at the time and she rather enjoyed them). Whilst I'm sure I don't really need to refamiliarise myself with the back story to appreciate books five and six, I felt I'd get more out of it if I did.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    "A few selected exits" Gwyn Thomas, he of the long ago HTV documentaries.
    Now finished.

And here's Gwyn Thomas in a long ago documentary showing the upper Vale of Neath:

The bit where the gunpowder works used to be, and the silica mines that were used to make bricks that were famous around the world.

Apparently the gunpowder works didn't make powder for guns, rather it produced mining explosives.

Glad we've cleared that up, like.

Next up: "The former Miss Merthyr Tydfil and other stories" by Alun Richards (1976).

Not finding some of this particular book overly gripping.

<hiatus on the hiatus>

Hard graft some of this.

Never mind, it sends me to sleep quite successfully, I get bored with one short story, hop off to another, get bored with that, and go to sleep.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 January 2021, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    missed him, too.
    just started vurt, pretty cool so far.............
    The sequels are a bit so-so. Worth a read probably, but not the same calibre as Vurt.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That sounds interesting, will look out for it
    well worth a read IMHO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X