• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently considering a big cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have to you have to.
    If they are just trying to save money then ask for your normal rate but a 3 day week.

It does sound like they are playing you. They have work to do and clearly want it done as cheap as possible (which is reasonable). They would have to go through the whole process of finding someone else if you leave. That always takes time and costs money. Especially if the job takes a while to pick up. You could try pointing this out.

If you are in no position to call their bluff then take the offer but get out quickly.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Sorry to hear that things seem slow in your sector - surprising as Ive had more calls than ususal recently which I have ignored as I am very happy in my new assignment.

If you have a weeks notice period then - yes - half loaf being better than no loaf - perhaps time to consider another sector if it is so bad in your current ?

Whatever you do - good luck.

Comment

Go for the reduced hours offer or if they won't go for it readjust your productivity accordingly and use 35% of your time on your own projects. In the last slump rates in my game fell by 35-50% very quickly, we aren't there yet this time but I have a feeling it's coming. DOOMED !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          Go for the reduced hours offer or if they won't go for it readjust your productivity accordingly and use 35% of your time on your own projects. In the last slump rates in my game fell by 35-50% very quickly, we aren't there yet this time but I have a feeling it's coming. DOOMED !
          Go permie.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Go permie.

HTH
            Never ! I'd work for £5.50 an hour rather than become permie scum.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Go for the reduced hours offer or if they won't go for it readjust your productivity accordingly and use 35% of your time on your own projects.
              How professional...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                How professional...
                sensible

Unless it's a charity shop no-one should have to work for free

Comment

Are you saying if he got a 20% raise he should work an extra 20% more hours?

If he accepts a lower rate, that's not like a mandatory pay cut as a permie. He chooses to work for less. He accepted it as his rate. If you take a new contract at a lower rate, should you work less hard?

Comment

When they say a 35% cut, is your agent still getting paid?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      If you take a new contract at a lower rate, should you work less hard?
                      YES

Comment

Working...
                      X