• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart bankers go to Iceland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Apparently in Spain banks are not allowed to set up "special purpose" companies to hide dodgy loans. Hence they are unaffected.
    That might make them *more* vulnerable surely? Half the problem with these dodgy loans is that they're mixed up with the sounder ones, and it's hard to distinguish them.

So if the banks kept them at arm's length within "loanshark" subsidiaries, wouldn't that have helped?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

knee jerk?

I woke up today and thought how safe is my money in ICESAVE, so thought I'd scan the forum to see if anyone else has similar concerns after yesterdays news that Iceland had bailed out a bank.

I am pleased to say I have just opend up the natwest e-save and bringing it back onshore! So thanks for pointing this out.

I did raise a question on another thread, what are the likes of prem footballers, gordon ramsey's and other millionaires with millions of surplus cash doing with their money when the FSA only covers upto 35k?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
        I woke up today and thought how safe is my money in ICESAVE, so thought I'd scan the forum to see if anyone else has similar concerns after yesterdays news that Iceland had bailed out a bank.

I am pleased to say I have just opend up the natwest e-save and bringing it back onshore! So thanks for pointing this out.

I did raise a question on another thread, what are the likes of prem footballers, gordon ramsey's and other millionaires with millions of surplus cash doing with their money when the FSA only covers upto 35k?
        I just opened an AA 1 yr fixed, 7+%, went to Icesave to clear it out and can't remember my Favourite Name

It is covered by the FSA scheme but I think it'll be interesting if it went under, probably agood move.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          I just opened an AA 1 yr fixed, 7+%, went to Icesave to clear it out and can't remember my Favourite Name

It is covered by the FSA scheme but I think it'll be interesting if it went under, probably agood move.
          I had that problem until I wrote it all down, defeats the object a little!

Can't clear mine out until I get home!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
            I had that problem until I wrote it all down, defeats the object a little!

Can't clear mine out until I get home!
            Same here. I have a standard set of passwords but after a couple of failures I didn't want to risk getting locked out. It's in the wife's name which means I can't ring them up.

What's the odds of them going down today !?

Probably quite high

Comment

Same here. I have a standard set of passwords but after a couple of failures I didn't want to risk getting locked out. It's in the wife's name which means I can't ring them up.

What's the odds of them going down today !?

Probably quite high
              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...gh-street.html

Oh sh!T can I get home quick enough to make the transaction

Comment

When you withdraw your cash from ICEsave how long did it take to hit your account, someone mentioned 2 weeks !

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                  When you withdraw your cash from ICEsave how long did it take to hit your account, someone mentioned 2 weeks !
                  3 working days in normal times.

Comment

3 working days in normal times.
                    got my all my cash within 3 working days.

And looking at this thank god!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7654257.stm

Comment

Working...
                    X