• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best parting shot?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex-Client of mine had an ass of a permie manager on site.

Week after I left, I called by the postroom to collect something that had arrived for me which said permie manager had stashed under his desk wanting 'a chat'.

Middle of the office he started to talk about "discoveries" - scripts running against servers & stuff which were part of the job & he was fully aware of.

In front of the whole office, I metioned that if he kept quiet about my perfectly legit 'discoveries', I would keep even quieter about his quietly homosexual tendancies towards other members of staff & not sue his ass off for trying to paint me in a bad light for just doing what was needed.

Surprisingly he went bright red, shut the hell up & everyone lived happy ever after!

World is full of W*nkers - don't get mad, just get even

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
      World is full of winkers - don't get mad, just get even

True about the winkers, but as for getting even I rarely can be arsed, that's how little they or their deeds mean to me.

The day I took my first half-decent car to work (again in the days of premiedom when I was sucked into all the petty jealousy), I returned to it after work to have a work colleage stood there pointing to a scratch along the side where someone had keyed it. I just started laughing, knowing it had wound up someone so much they had to do something so pointless, where as I generally don't give a toss about how clean my cars are on the outside or if they have the odd scratch or dent.

Part of me thinks it was the guy stood there pointing it out and I almost caught him in the act, which would have resulted in an entirely different reaction from me.

I got my own back by leaving to go contracting. By all accounts (from former colleagues I kept in touch with), my old boss insisted I'd made the wrong decision, leaving his precious company. Yeah right!
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        What’s the best parting shot? The permy boss I work under is a right tosser, how can I make him pay??

I know the golden rules about remaining professional and not burning your bridges but this time it's different, he deserves bad things to happen. I don't want to lower myself to physical damage or pain, I was thinking more on the lines of utter humiliation.

Any suggestions?
        Success is the best revenge. Or as Lawrence wrote in Seven Pillars of Wisdom, "Two characters of Englishmen were modified: one into nothing, because the worm no longer seemed worth treading on..."

Comment

Best parting shot? Indiana Jones dealing with the Arab with the sword in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Get your timesheet signed at 1pm. Travel home early and open a beer, and send off your invoice.

Forget about your boss; he is (or was) a knob. Remember you are a contractor.
            Completely agree. These things have a habit of popping up again, and being painful for you in another role....

Comment

There are loads of things you could do if you really wanted. Do you know his home address or could you find it? Order loads of pizzas/curries etc from loads of different places all to arrive within a short time of each other. How about a ton of building sand to be left on his front garden or a skip on his drive? Several taxis to take him on a long run to the airport all arriving at his house at the same time could be fun also. If you go to town on this, he'll never be able to order anything again. If I did this I'd use a payphone though.

But to be honest, as was said before, go home and have a beer and forget about him. I worked for a similar type of knob head and that's what I did. At the end of the day I was a contractor and could leave his little kingdom at the end of my contract confident in the knowledge that he would always be a knob head.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
              X