• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Archbishop of Cantebury - STFU !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    As for the stfu, unreasonable yes, but satisfying.
    Certainly. Now can it!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      We've already got Shariah Law!
      No we haven't, those that want to abide by it have a Sharia arbitration service.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        No we haven't, those that want to abide by it have a Sharia arbitration service.
        That's right. There are serious discussions to be had here, but they are easily polluted by frankly silly comments like "we've already got Sharia Law".

For example, in the limited sense that that is true, it is not new. Again, some Jews have been submitting to the Beth Din for years (do I mean millenia?), is that upsetting anyone too? If it's not , because it's not quite the same, in what way is it not the same? That (which is not a rhetorical question) is a much more interesting question.

Among the thoughts for an answer: no Beth Din has ever tried to make me stop eating bacon rolls. Neither AFAIK has any subjugated women. If a faith attempts to do so in our country, it is everone's concern.

Or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

Personally I am an atheist,
          As much a Faith as any of the other major religions.

Are you absolutely convinced that God (or similar) doesn't exist? Because there's no proof either way.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Are you absolutely convinced that God (or similar) doesn't exist? Because there's no proof either way.
            Here we go.. are you trolling MM?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

He should stick to God bothering and leave the real world to someone else.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                Here we go.. are you trolling MM?
                Not at all, just getting some clarification

Most people who say they are Atheists are actually Agnostic.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So public figures aren't allowed to have their own opinions about politics?

Being anti-materialist is sensible and biblical. Not that being wealthy is bad, but that putting it above everything else is.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    Just wanted to say that. Sorry if you're a god-botherer.

"The Archbishop of Canterbury speaks in support of Karl MarxRuth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent
                    The Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams has spoken up in support of Karl Marx, defending key aspects of his critique of capitalism.

Dr Williams warns that in the face of the credit crisis, the financial world needs new regulation and says that our society is running the risk of idolatry in its relationship with wealth. "

First it's Sharia law, now Communism, and if anyone's bothered, the breakup of the Anglican church. This guy needs a nice easy job in a uni somewhere, far away from the scissor draw, so to speak. He is a menace.
                    It does not surprise me he has marxist ideals. He is a liberal-leftie who is not the strong leader of the Church we need at this time when other religions are coming in and taking over.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Despite the troll-like nature of the post, I will answer.

I was speaking briefly, and loosely, in order to get to the point that I was making at the time. On this point, I do not hold a faith-based conviction on the existence or otherwise of god. I actually resent being held to the word "atheist" because it is capable of being seen as "just another -ist".

My position (actually I resent the implication that I must have a "position") is that I do not have much reason to think about the question of god. Some people do, but I do not really know why. Some of those seem to think that I should believe in the existence of a god, but none has yet come up with anything to convince me. So I go about my business without much reference to this "god" concept.

If you ask me whether I believe it, I suppose I might ask whether you believe in Martians. Yes, it would be important if they did exist, but on balance I see no reason to think that they might; if any evidence ever comes in, I'll react to it then. Meanwhile, I don't believe in Martians: that does not make me a rabid faith-based believer in Martian-nonexistence.

PS an agnostic AIUI is someone who was neatly described as someone who believes that he does not know the nature of god, and believes that you do not know either.

I do not find much use for the schoolboy 3-way classification of believer in god at one pole, believer in no god at the other, and "agnostic" in between who does not know.
                      Belief in god is not a neutral idea with 2 opposing possibilities. It is a claim made by believers, which some of us are not convinced by. We do not take up an opposing faith, we simply remain unconvinced. That to me is an atheist. I think you may suspect me of being an antitheist.
                      Last edited by expat; 25 September 2008, 13:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X