• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

City job/contract market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    I spent 4 years at a Fund Management company in the City in the late 90's (on a 3 month contract LOL). Loved every day of it (well, mostly). It was the best place I have ever worked - the job was great, the pay was great, the people were great. Only left to come back to NZ.

Was that just luck or have things changed a bit since then?
    It gets harder every single year. The City in the 1990s was an easier place to work in than in the 2000s and apparently the 1980s it was much easier and IT were better respected back then.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      It gets harder every single year. The City in the 1990s was an easier place to work in than in the 2000s and apparently the 1980s it was much easier and IT were better respected back then.
      IT Recruitment in the City, is super busy, so many outsourcing deals going on, budget spend already approved, very, very busy. Downside, is roles are very specific, however if you have fund accounting, custody, fund admin, OTC/exotic derivatives, transfer agency experience then you will be in high demand on the contract front for at least the next two years.
      I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        I gain the impression that you're not really enjoying the culture of IT in the city - does anybody ?
        Yes - I do. If I did not enjoy working with the sort of morons that pass for our users then I would not have stuck around cuk-general for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
          IT Recruitment in the City, is super busy, so many outsourcing deals going on, budget spend already approved, very, very busy. Downside, is roles are very specific, however if you have fund accounting, custody, fund admin, OTC/exotic derivatives, transfer agency experience then you will be in high demand on the contract front for at least the next two years.
          me! me! me! me! me! Got any roles going? Get me out of clientco - please.......

Comment

The thing is that I find working in finance suprisingly interesting, however you in finance there seem to be two types of IT contractors .. those that get stuck in a rut and those that work on parts of the system that the business actually views as being important.

I know which one I prefer.

Comment

AnotherDodgyAgent is right, the roles are very, very specific.

I'm looking at Europe instead, particularly Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                me! me! me! me! me! Got any roles going? Get me out of clientco - please.......
                Dont listen to Brillo. He loves it there!
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                X