• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

halifax suspends house price index

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cant miss with bricks and mortar - yak yak yak

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      No, it's not very clever to make up posts like this while referencing reuters and claiming they posted this stuff coming from supposedly some company that supposedly made this statement. In the current climate of banking shares under pressure this can lead to real losses and this joke might be very costly.
      I would of thought that if someone who was capable of influencing the markets had read that they would have seen the blatent "this is a joke" pointers

Chill out - if ever we stop making fun of ourselves then we may just start taking people seriously & thats the road to nowhere
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole View Post
        I think the whole post is made up. Very clever though.
        lol - excellent wind up.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole View Post
          I think the whole post is made up. Very clever though.
          Too clever for me to have written it ! Courtesy of www.hbosshorters.co.uk

I cashed in though

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            lol - excellent wind up.

You mean you did not see the last lines clearly saying it's a joke and did not even attempt to verify the story by clicking the link?

Amateurs these days

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
              Penultimate paragraph

"A ban on selling shares for less than you purchased them for and a free weekend at Butlin’s for every family with children under the age of 14."

Rest of it sounded all too possible.
              I wouldn't rule out either of these two measures being in Gordon's plans :-)

OP was a great wind-up though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Correct me if i'm wrong but surely a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
                If a house isn't sold then the price the vendors have it on the market for is just a number, nothing more.

Trying to factor in prices of houses that haven't sold yet IS going to skew the index and make it completely pointless

You couldn't make it up !!

I have always said, and it is fairly blooming obvious, that the land registry figures are the ones to be believed as more accurate because they are based on actual selling prices. These show that prices in my area have still actually risen over the past year, albeit by a meagre 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  the land registry figures are the ones to be believed as more accurate because they are based on actual selling prices.

No - those figures are what buyer and seller agreed to put on paper - off balance deals to faciliate sale are not there. Case in point - during house pricing boom I've seen personally people who agreed with buyers lower price to avoid higher rate of stamp duty in order to pay extra for "furtniture" in the house.

Comment

Good one Roots!

POTD!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Good one Roots!

POTD!
                      POTD - Plagiarisation Of The Day

Comment

Working...
                      X