• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shorting ban sends bank shares soaring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
    Are you sure? in order to short sell you have to borrow shares to cover the exposure or running the risk over night or you have to buy back during the same day, either way this has a full audit trail...
    What if you operate in offshore via proxies? Those guys are pretty clever. Personally I think they use naked short selling - not allowed in the USA, but can be done here I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      Like the avatar BTW.
      atW
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Has anyone actually proven the the Short selling was to blame for the HBOS fall?

The BBC news last night reported that when the (market) investigated the trades over the last few days they found very little evidence of short selling and concluded that this was not to blame....
        I saw this too, but if short selling wasn't causing falls in the prices, how come they are all soaring now it's banned? (NB I am not claiming to know - genuine question)

Comment

Who cares about shorting? I've been longing the FTSE since the news broke last night
          The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            how come they are all soaring now it's banned?
            Those scumbags who were shorting like hell now switched to the opposite of shorting - "going long".

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              I saw this too, but if short selling wasn't causing falls in the prices, how come they are all soaring now it's banned? (NB I am not claiming to know - genuine question)
              It's got nothing to do with banning shorting - it's because the US tax payer is going to take over all that dodgy debt.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                it's because the US tax payer is going to take over all that dodgy debt.
                This won't include UK dodgy house sales...

Comment

The markets are very fickle, there are some fundamentals that drive things, but a lot of it is to do with sentiment, and opinion.

My personal view is: HBOS are the UK largest mortgage provider, while they may not have a lot of toxic (read credit default) exposure on their balance sheet they do hold a lot of UK mortgages. Now while the UK mortgage market has not been caught up in the US sub-prime problems, the potential for people to default on mortgage payment is increasing by the week as the economy slows down & people loose jobs.

I was out which a chap last night who's wife used to work at Nat west in their mortgage recovery department, when she was first started she could not believe the type & numbers of people who would default on their payment, just because they could! Yes there was a lot of genuine ones but a lot were not.

I think all of this fuelled the mass sett off / panic!

Comment

T.......when she was first started she could not believe the type & numbers of people who would default on their payment, just because they could! Yes there was a lot of genuine ones but a lot were not.
                    This doesn't make sense to me - what advantage would there be to anyone in defaulting on their mortgage?

Comment

Do any of you lot know what you are talking about?

Comment

Working...
                      X