• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loyds to buy HBOS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It's the long term investors who shat it out that have been shafted?
    Long term investors should not be worried about temporary problems (even if they take 2-3 years), it is speculators that used leverages that are getting shafted now - margin calls and all that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      This is nothing compared to the doom to come when fossil fuels get scarce. We might as well get used to small upsets like this. It was great living off the credit boom our ancestors left us while it lasted though eh?
      this is not gona happen till 2080 or 2100

we are safe

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        If they are so bright why didn't they jump the boar earlier? Or maybe decide not to work for them in the first place? Or maybe not even buy that subprime derivative crap?

I don't see many of them getting jobs in this climate - Arthur Andersen on CV would sound more attractive to me than Lehman Brothers.

Frankly those guys are lucky they are not going to jail for the kind of crap they pulled - perhaps now some of them would have to do an honest day of work to actually earn some money rather than "make" it.

Your bitterness is palpable.
        While you sit dreaming in your garret, they will be going out and living and enjoying life.
        Life isn't a rehearsal my friend - if you haven't achieved something in 4 years you'd better have a plan B.
        Oh hang on you've done 4 years already ....
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

If they are so bright why didn't they jump the boar earlier?
          You Siberian pig fcing bufty boys have a funny definition of intelligence.

Anyone else got images of deliverance?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            this is not gona happen till 2080 or 2100

we are safe
            The affects will be felt long before fossil fuels finally run out. Not least with market upsets like this presumably, before famines etc occur. The UK is already dependent on importing fuel, and food I gather.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              While you sit dreaming in your garret, they will be going out and living and enjoying life.
              I am very pleased with my work in the last 4 years. Job satisfaction for me is #1 thing, I was very displeased with what happened in previous work despite being paid there half decent money. I don't think I would have enjoyed working in the city - I think my honesty is way too high to get involved into ****ing people over and getting away with it, it's just not my kind of thing - I did not want to do it in Russia and I sure as hell don't want to do it here.

In a long run things tend to even out - City boys will get what they deserve very soon, perhaps it would have been better for UK if there was no City in this country at all.

Comment

perhaps it would have been better for UK if there was no City in this country at all.
                You really do talk a whole load of bollocks AtW.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

In a long run things tend to even out - City boys will get what they deserve very soon, perhaps it would have been better for UK if there was no City in this country at all.
                  That's just bollocks AtW. If this country didn't have the City, we'd be well and truly ****ed.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    You Siberian pig fcing bufty boys have a funny definition of intelligence.
                    If I was in Lehman Brothers decision making team who agreed to buy derivatites to value of something like $500 bln (this is apparently their worst case liabilities according to some newsources), then I'd certainly say NO. No bank with a long history should expose itself to any market that can potentially bankrupt it - but of course we both know that the decision making team was getting short term bonuses on quick profits they made, in fact the bigger they exposed their bank the more money they made - only then it killed them. Frankly I expect bigger case than Enron to be opened against Lehman Brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      That's just bollocks AtW. If this country didn't have the City, we'd be well and truly ****ed.
                      No, that's bollox. This country would benefit greatly without having City present - at least this way PhDs in stats will not be training to fk people over from their money, but maybe to do something useful in life even if this involves teaching in academia

City for UK is like oil for Russia - it's overabundance is a curse that needs to be dealt with.

Comment

Working...
                      X