• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sterling Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling Doom

Unemployment warning sends pound tumbling

David Blanchflower, the arch-dove on the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), today forecast that the UK economy is heading for an "unpleasant shock" with unemployment set to spike in October.

Sterling fell to a two-and-a-half year low against the dollar as markets digested Mr Blanchflower's comments, sending the pound down to $1.7460 — a level last seen in April 2006.

Not sure what an "arch-dove" is.
    I think it will sink to about 1.1 euro , 1.5 $, (ballpark) over the next 9 months - any opinions?
    Bored.

Boomed! A falling pound is the classic British way of dealing with economic problems.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      Unemployment warning sends pound tumbling

David Blanchflower, the arch-dove on the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), today forecast that the UK economy is heading for an "unpleasant shock" with unemployment set to spike in October.

Sterling fell to a two-and-a-half year low against the dollar as markets digested Mr Blanchflower's comments, sending the pound down to $1.7460 — a level last seen in April 2006.

Not sure what an "arch-dove" is.
      I think it will sink to about 1.1 euro , 1.5 $, (ballpark) over the next 9 months - any opinions?
      If it falls to near 1.1 euros (or even below) I'll be as a dog having sold my villa and transferred from Euros to £ several weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Boomed! A falling pound is the classic British way of dealing with economic problems.
        I am going back to Rahmainandjickistan. I make more there as a farmer.

Comment

I earn in USD
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

i earn Euro's

my hourly rate is going up and up
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              i earn Euro's

my hourly rate is going up and up
              WHS. But the euro is losing against the dollar and I am going to the states on me hols. On the upside I bought 2ks worth of dollars at its peak.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

WTF is an "arch dove"? Why can't these people speak English?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  WTF is an "arch dove"? Why can't these people speak English?
                  The beaks most likely.

IWGMC.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                  X