• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we all fooked?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The UK has had a lot of fun partying off its gigantic reserves for the last couple of hundred years and in this time its population has grown immensely, but is the party nearly over now? Can we support the kind of population we have here? Failed civilisations seem to share a common trait - their populations grow too large. Are we there yet?
    I don't think you have that right: the failed civilisations with large populations are those that experienced their population growth before their industrial revolution. They never seem to reach prosperity and peace.

We are in the other group; but in the subgroup of "former empires". The situation there is not good either: most imperial countries are slowly and inexorably bankrupted by their fading empires, as they resolutely refuse to let go of them no matter what the cost. This is Britain's history for the last century.

Hello America, BTW.

Dennis Healey always wanted us to look to Austria: they seem to be the only country that managed the transition out of imperialism without a fall.

Comment

Originally posted by dwm009 View Post
      Be quiet in the back!
      But Daaaaaaaad, I want a wee-wee!
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Dennis Healey always wanted us to look to Austria: they seem to be the only country that managed the transition out of imperialism without a fall.
        Only if you don't count annexation by Germany and having a population of incestuous half-wit Nazis as a "fall"

Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Only if you don't count annexation by Germany and having a population of incestuous half-wit Nazis as a "fall"

and then losing a war and being occupied by the Russians. Well, at least it was over quickly. Bit like that best man.....

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I don't think you have that right: the failed civilisations with large populations are those that experienced their population growth before their industrial revolution. They never seem to reach prosperity and peace.

We are in the other group; but in the subgroup of "former empires". The situation there is not good either: most imperial countries are slowly and inexorably bankrupted by their fading empires, as they resolutely refuse to let go of them no matter what the cost. This is Britain's history for the last century.

Hello America, BTW.

It's a lot simpler than that, it's ultimately about energy. An industrial revolution is just another way of using more energy. USA has lots, we used to have lots. Now we have little. All of Europe are probably fooked too. We don't want Austria, we want Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              It's a lot simpler than that, it's ultimately about energy. An industrial revolution is just another way of using more energy. USA has lots, we used to have lots. Now we have little. All of Europe are probably fooked too. We don't want Austria, we want Australia.
              It's about using energy, hmm, maybe.

Still true, though:
              1. large population only hobbles you if it comes before your industrialisation.
              2. empires end up costing the ruler more than the ruled.

Comment

Call me old fashioned - but I like Scotland and the UK so much - I actually live there.

Yes I know weve got some problems - but folks - its the same all over - and in case you hadnt noticed - you cannae run away from yourself.

Look at the Sky
                Look at the River
                Isnt It good ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  Call me old fashioned - but I like Scotland and the UK so much - I actually live there.

Yes I know weve got some problems - but folks - its the same all over - and in case you hadnt noticed - you cannae run away from yourself.

Look at the Sky
                  Look at the River
                  Isnt It good ?
                  Some problems? I can get 6 figures in Germany, can't find a job that'll pay the mortgage on the house in the UK, and that's just an allegedly 3-bedroom brick hutch. I like it enough to live there, I just don't like it enough to work there.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    Rookie mistake.
                    Schoolboy error.

Britain has the best cheese in the World. Number 1 cheese provider. All time top cheese fellas.
                    people who value cheese deserve to become extinct.

Cheese is milk that should have been used months ago - some clever fella tried to sell spoiled milk and found enough fools to invent a new category of food.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                      people who value cheese deserve to become extinct.

Cheese is milk that should have been used months ago - some clever fella tried to sell spoiled milk and found enough fools to invent a new category of food.
                      And eggs are chickens periods.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X