• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In Germany & I need 1000 euro. How?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I'm working in Germany at the moment and have decided to rent a flat, which I don't normally do when working away from home, but it seems to make sense this time. I'm hoping to move in on Thursday but I need 1000 euro for the deposit and first month's rent. Thought it would be easy enough to transfer the cash from my UK bank account to the landlord's account, but the bank wants the request in writing and through the post. They won't accept email or fax.

Next option would be to just take it out of a cashpoint, as it's not a huge amount, but there's a daily withdrawal limit which won't add up to enough before Thursday.

Next possibility would be to go to a bureau de change and pay with my debit card, but everything I've read about that method seems to be negative, what with the huge charges.

So, just wondering what other people might recommend in this situation? I could always put off moving in till next week I suppose, but would be a lot more convenient to do it before the weekend. Any useful tips?
    if you are in Frankfurt a short term loan could perhaps be arranged.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Check out www.rabbitfx.com - either pay into your German account or pay directly into the landlords account

Comment

<----------

Sorted!
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

If it's a VISA card, ring them up and say you've lost the card and need emergency funds transferred to the German town where you're based. Then with photo ID such as a passport you can collect the money from a local Western Union office.

But first be sure the bank will approve the funds, and don't let the muppets cancel any other cards (and of course make allowance for the fact that you won't have the card available, or its replacement for a week or two).

Also, be prepared to have several excruciatingly long and tedious phone conversations with Indians who find it extremely difficult to spell western words and postcodes.

(If your surname is Ranulph-Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes or something, I'd forget the idea, or indeed the notion of phoning your bank for any reason whatever.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So, just wondering what other people might recommend in this situation? I could always put off moving in till next week I suppose, but would be a lot more convenient to do it before the weekend. Any useful tips?
            Can you split the cash between two or more current accounts and then withdraw individually?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Can you split the cash between two or more current accounts and then withdraw individually?
              Like it, but I've only got one account with a card. Got the first 300 euro out anyway, so that's a start.

Comment

I'm working in Germany at the moment and have decided to rent a flat, which I don't normally do when working away from home, but it seems to make sense this time. I'm hoping to move in on Thursday but I need 1000 euro for the deposit and first month's rent. Thought it would be easy enough to transfer the cash from my UK bank account to the landlord's account, but the bank wants the request in writing and through the post. They won't accept email or fax.

Next option would be to just take it out of a cashpoint, as it's not a huge amount, but there's a daily withdrawal limit which won't add up to enough before Thursday.

Next possibility would be to go to a bureau de change and pay with my debit card, but everything I've read about that method seems to be negative, what with the huge charges.

Don't expect to see your deposit again. I didn't !!!!!

Comment

I got my deposit by taking an advance from the company that I was working at. Try asking them.

Comment

Cant you write them a cheque? or just fill in the ubervisung with your banks details?
                    Make sure the deposit goes into a bank account provided for that purpose and not into the landlords pocket or you will never see it again.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X