• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone here let houses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Being a landlord is a) a c**t's trick b) likely to leave you spending hours on the blower to your solicitor/the neighbours of the let property/the police/the Samaritans.
    Ah, the police. I heard of one landlord who had an expensive repair bill after the force burst in mob-handed to one of his flats in search of drugs.

The insurance didn't cover it, saying it was deliberate damage. The police took no responsibility, saying it was a legitimate police action. The tenant denied responsibility on the reasonable grounds that he had no drugs, and he would have just opened the door if they had asked.

So the landlord had to pay for it himself.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      I've been letting properties for 12 years. Never had any of those problems.

Do it properly and professionally and you won't have a problem.
      WHS. Althogh minor hassle occasionally with accidental damage. I also joined the Residential Landlords Association for draft contracts, insurance, credit checks and general advice. Have aversion to agents of all kinds.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
        Plenty still available at that price or less if you're not too fussy:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=2&tr_t=buy
        i must see further than the M25

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
          i must see further than the M25
          In the north east, there are loads of houses (not flats) under £100K, even at the height of the housing boom.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            In the north east, there are loads of houses (not flats) under £100K, even at the height of the housing boom.
            There's a reason for that

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Back in 2000 (when the Land Registry records started), there were loads of houses under 10k. Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                The police took no responsibility, saying it was a legitimate police action. The tenant denied responsibility on the reasonable grounds that he had no drugs, and he would have just opened the door if they had asked.

!
                These are contradictory.

If the guy had no drugs, the police can't get out of their obligation to "restore" by saying that they "thought there was a crime being committed inside", they actually have to have the proof.

HTH

tim

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  There's a reason for that
                  That's right there is. We're not hideously overpriced like the south

Well OK, a lot of the cheap houses are in bad areas, with bad transport links. But the place we are is about 30min from Newcastle and maybe 35 from Middlesbrough, which is about as good as you could get in the north east. And our street's quite nice (our next-door neighbours are a pain but that could happen anywhere).
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X