• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Unpleasant as it sounds, it could be that ClientCo saw this coming and deliberately took you on with the intention of making you a scapegoat for the failure of the project. Make sure you've got an audit trail that covers your behind, and get out of there.
    Yes, as a contractor PM you are there just as an arse to kick. Everyone knows the project is a dog and you're the fall guy. If it were a decent project a permie PM would in there. If you're any good or have any pride you would leave.

Comment

Get out of there, just make sure that there is an audit trail showing that you were trying to implement the correct thing but were blocked at every step of the way.

Write requirements that are concise and accurate and screw what they want you to write. Describe the whole solution in one sentence and make sure the documentation is distributed before you go.

They will look like even bigger arses if the next person who takes it up can see that you are bang on the money and they are just ignoring you.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
        I have just had a screaming match at an IT Requirements Manager at ClientCo and stormed off in a huff. I am absolutely furious with this outfit and, right now, feel like taking advantage of my 5 days notice period.
        Do I exercise the termination clause and start looking, or keep taking the tulip until they sack me?
        Are you working for the civil service or something?
        Last edited by scooterscot; 22 August 2008, 21:18.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Are you working for the civil service or something?
          10/10
          If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
            10/10
            i once worked for a civil service organisation. There were days I thought I was going to walk into the office with a sawn off shotgun.

Work-shy arrogant £@%£$@@ always sweeping jobs under the carpet. As long as they looked good at the end of the day nothing was said. I was

I renewed once then had enough walked away even when offered a rate increase, no price could be put on my sanity.

What scares me looking back was the projects these guys were in charge of some had greater consequences on the public at large. Mistakes then could result in losses no amount of money could fix.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Have you got a copy of Yourdon "Death March". If not, nip down to a decent bookshop, buy it, and read it over the weekend.

I was once in a similar stitch up situation as a permie. I planned my exit strategy and got 6 months salary in exchange for not suing their arses.

Not an option for contractors though. There's nothing to be gained by working in a toxic environment, and a lot to lose - your health and sanity for one. I did work on one contract that was going to be pretty difficult to meet the deadline. And then the client project manager started wanting daily progress reports... which meant that I, as team lead, lost 2-3 days a week preparing reports and attending meetings, despite the fact that I'd told them the only chance of success was if I also did development 4.5 days a week. Then two of the key business people went on their annual leave... I took advantage of a change in flight schedules to say I could no longer work on the project - gave my two weeks notice and quit. Then started legal proceedings to get my unpaid invoices paid.

In your shoes, I'd hand in my notice, but be prepared to be persuaded to come back, with conditions attached. If those are not met, then you walk, and you don't be persuaded to come back.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X