• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thousands of file-sharers face legal action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Do millions use usenet to download copyrighted material?

But if they do, and it can be determined who uploaded it then yes they could be in the frame as well.

(though as has been discussed elsewhere, the laywers are specifically going for P2Pers because many of them are unaware that they are uploading at the same time as they download)

tim
    Usenet relies on central servers, so unlike P2P it's relatively easy to target where the material is being distributed from. Back when I was a usenet pirate I'd upload to Easynews, who I had a paid for account with, but they had a policy of not logging anything. But it still has to pass through your ISP, and if they decide to keep an eye on what you do with your connection they can certainly see what you're uploading to usenet even if you don't use their server. You'd have to use a VPN, or other form of encryption if you wanted to get around it, but no encryption is totally secure.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      There are folks in my street who don't even have any encryption enabled on their wifi networks.
      Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      Same here. 'tis unbelievable.
      They don't seem too bad in my block. From my lounge my laptop can see five wireless networks.

Two are using WPA2 (although one of them is me).
      One is using WPA
      Two are using WEP

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Could point me in the direction of security instructions for these WEP thingies, Dear?

I'm finally considering wireless, but need the appropriate software (and nous) to install the stuff...
      It will be among the configuration settings for your Wireless Router when you get one.

Its not too complicated - even I managed to follow what was needed.

Comment

Working...
      X