• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

permie java developers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflection? Classes? Objects?

Pah, all you need is Loop, If and Gosub + Return

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I've got that book.

I haven't read it though.

There's nothing about FORTRAN IV in it.
      How do you know if you haven't read it?

Ha, hoisted by your own whatsit!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I've got that book.

I haven't read it though.

There's nothing about FORTRAN IV in it.

LF Fortran v7.1 Enterprise edition integrates the Fortran for .NET language system and our legendary Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran 95 language system into the latest Microsoft® Visual Studio development environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
          Another classic quote from the other day when I was trying to explain the benefits of running a build server/cruise control (after having a few instances of going back and forth asking developers for missing files) "In the past on some projects we haven't used any source control and just put our files on a central machine, could this save us some time?"
          Oh yes. Said permie java developer also believes that ..

I'm not too worried about source control because we have it all on the shared drive and that's backed up on the network each night.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Ouch - sounds painful
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              petard

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                petard

pedant
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  pedant
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    I've nearly just fallen off my chair... the permie java developer next to me has just come up with this gem.

I've nearly just fallen off my chair... the permie java developer next to me has just come up with this gem.

to be honest they [Sun] could have just got round this reflection stuff by just using if statements
                    He is right. Today's programmers probably think OOP and newer methodologies are somehow more computationally powerful than older or simpler statements like an IF. They aren't, modern programming methods exist only for the convenience of programmers. They don't add any computational power. Every program ever written and could ever be written could be rewritten entirely in IF statements.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                      maybe what he is getting at is that instead of implementing polymorphism using reflection you could write code like this:

if type = X then do this
                      else
                      if type = Y then do this
                      else
                      if type = Z then do this

Comment

Working...
                      X