• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Laners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    A good environmentally friendly idea. When the motorway bends rights move from lane 1 to 2, to 3 and back again, like in formula1. Also, try to keep as close the the car in front as possible - hopefully he will not think you are pressurising him to change lane, if so just flash your LED lights to indicate that you are slipstreaming. Try to slipstream behind the biggest juggernaut you can find, and try to glide down hills with the clutch disengaged.
    SOP for towing a caravan
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Yeah, point taken but they all end degenerating into this mess, don't they?
      generally takes this form

sensible posts - page 1
      Devil advocate - page 2
      over the top response to devils advocate - page 2,3
      trolling - page 4
      more responses to trolling - page 4, 5
      bitching/name calling - pages 6-infinity

Banning
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        generally takes this form

sensible posts - page 1
        Devil advocate - page 2
        over the top response to devils advocate - page 2,3
        trolling - page 4
        more responses to trolling - page 4, 5
        bitching/name calling - pages 6-infinity

Banning
        **** off.

Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Banning
          Only for the best threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            I'm glad you have the ability to predict the behaviour of all other road users.

However, if you're already in lane 2 before you get to the slip-road you've got two possible safety areas when things do go pear shaped.

You drive your way and I'll drive mine.

As for your 50k miles per year how much of that is over the entire 2200(ish) mile motorway network?
            Predict no although I do my best to anticipate, but observation allows anticipation and time to react.

Sadly for me (and I must be very sad and bored one day to have worked it out) I have driven end to end of every motorway on mainland Britain at least once and many of them hundreds of times, the vast majority of my driving has been on the motorways and I hate them.
            I started field/mobile working when I was still a student and fitted Carphones on the weekends and vacations so after 22 years of driving far too much on the UK motorway network I've seen far too much inattentive and plain awful driving to have any tolerance for middle lane hoggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
              Not mine, mate. The Highway Code.
              Right. You do know that The Highway Code is not necessarily The Law, don't you? A lot of it is just advice.

Points in The Highway Code which do refer to The Law are marked 'MUST' or 'MUST NOT'. Other points say things like 'should' or 'where possible'.

Here is an example of a non-Law point:

Before overtaking you should make sure
              • the road is sufficiently clear ahead
              • road users are not beginning to overtake you
              • there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake
              And here's a point related to the Law:

DO NOT overtake if there is any doubt, or where you cannot see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe. For example, when you are approaching
              • a corner or bend
              • a hump bridge
              • the brow of a hill
              And here's the point about lane discipline:

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                Right. You do know that The Highway Code is not necessarily The Law, don't you? A lot of it is just advice.

Points in The Highway Code which do refer to The Law are marked 'MUST' or 'MUST NOT'. Other points say things like 'should' or 'where possible'.

Here is an example of a non-Law point:

And here's a point related to the Law:

And here's the point about lane discipline:
                dang65 is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                X